Need help with burning!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jameso1, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jameso1 macrumors newbie

Probably heard this one a thousand times guys,appreciate you looking in to see if you can help.

Basically what i need is this:

I have had an apple macbook 2ghz intel core duo 512gb ram 60gb hd with superdrive running mac os x 10.4.8 for around 6 weeks now,i adore it,but i just cannot get my head around burning to blank dvd r / cd r etc.

I have read lots of other posts with tutorials but i must be going wrong as i havent got anywhere near producing a completed burned disc yet,i just cannot figure out the codecs etc,etc,i need to burn avi files,do i need to convert them,if so to what?and how?what programmes do i need where am i going wrong?do i need ripping/shrinking software? need a top to bottom list of instruction if poss.

I have imovie,idvd ,but no toast software of any kind,what do i need to do?

I Know i am a pain but i would so like to help other people out on my position so any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    James.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just insert the disc, drag the stuff onto its icon that you want to burn, and click "burn" at the top of the window. No other stuff required.

3. jameso1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply Skunk,i dont need convert it or anything else first?just seems a bit to simple from what i have read thats all!

4. jameso1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will this allow me to watch on my home DVD player or just computers?

James.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Use iDVD in that case, and you can certainly play it in a DVD player. I thought you were just wanting to copy the files...

With iDVD it's just drag 'n' drop.

6. jameso1 thread starter macrumors newbie

so no decoding/encoding or converting from AVI then?do i need to run it through imovie first?a friend of mine did it this way and no sound came out and picture quality was bad compared to the original file.....

Thanks for the help.

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    If you are like me, and can't stand iDVD, and after many attempts you want to throw your Mac.

Go buy Toast 7 and rest easy.....

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

ffmpegX is a really handy application that allows you to basically convert any movie into any other format and quality, if iDVD doesn't play your movie then use it to convert to .mov or .mp4 (the basic quicktime extensions).

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Agreed, it's great.