Need Help with Choosing Gifts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applekid, Dec 10, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I'm still trying to figure out what I have to buy some people for Christmas. Quite frankly, I think I'm pretty low on cash, but I think I can pull it off if I get some good gift ideas...

The people on my list and my budget:

- Office Secretaries in my school's office - up to $20 (one helped me get out of school and did a lot of things for me and I really owe her a lot. So probably up to $50 for her)
    - My Art teacher (wrote me a recommendation) - up to $50
    - My Computer Science teacher (wrote me a recommendation) - up to $75
    - A friend that delivered my applications to my Computer Science teacher - up to $10
    - My boss (I work in a library, running an after-school program. My first job) - up to $100
    - My co-worker (He actually runs the after-school program.) - up to $75
    - An accountant (She counts the money through the snack shop at our after-school program) - up to $20

Any good gift ideas for these people?
  2. g^3 macrumors member

Sep 24, 2005
    whoa....$380 on gifts for people at your school....that's alot!
    You may want to follow after the good ole cliche, "It's the thought that counts."

here are some ideas;
    -office secretaries- nice box of chocolates
    -art teacher- a book or poster relating to his/her favorite artist
    -computer science teach- book or cool science related magazine subscription
    -friend- that's what friends are for, help him/her when needed
    -boss- a good book, or nice coffee mug (if applicable)
    -coworker- i don't know, find out what he likes...maybe tickets to the movies
    -accountant- IDK, find out what she likes or is interested in

It is not a good idea to spend lots of money on people working at your school. Most of the time they are not allowed to accept gifts over X amount of dollars. Giving people expensive gifts sometimes makes the situation a little uneasy. Hope that helps.

PS - remember it is really how much thought that goes into choosing a gift that makes it a good gift.
  3. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I guess it is the thought that counts, except I can't think of anything to get them. ;)

Honestly, I feel like I owe these people a lot, and therefore I'm feeling I need to spend a little extra on every one of them. You really think I should lower my budget?
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    ^^well my thoughts aint that big if thats the case:p

5. g^3 macrumors member

Sep 24, 2005
    you also have to remember that these teachers are not allowed to accept gifts over a certain amount of dollars, this can be seen as a bribe. giving expensive gifts creates a conflict of interest when they go to give you next semesters grades.
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
  7. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    But that only holds 5 people, and he needs something for 7....
  8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Of course, silly me, what was I thinking... ;)
  9. dali macrumors member

Dec 7, 2005
    You call that low on cash??:eek:

Buy them a book in their interestfield.
  10. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I suppose you're right. But, in the case of my computer science teacher, he doesn't work at our school anymore. My art teacher teaches Yearbook, so it's not like I need to bribe him for an A. :D

I like your ideas though. They're leading me towards the right direction for at least things to think of. I think I'll get my computer science teacher a decent amount on a CompUSA gift card. I guess I can definitely go with smaller gifts for the office secretaries.

About the tank, I'll be sure to make it a gift for myself :D Look for the bulldozer at while you're at it. ;)
  11. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    This is going to be an unselfish Christmas 2005 for me and I shall continue this tradition from here on end. :)

I feel warm-hearted already. :D
  12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    All rules of accepting gifts of a certain value aside, it would be highly inappropriate for you to purchase a gift that costs $100 for your boss. First, I'll venture to guess others aren't doing that and second, I'd venture to guess that you'd stick out like a sore thumb and while you mean well, others may not see this. Office competition is all over even if you can't see it right now.

I say this because I have been you. I bought lavish gifts for my bosses and people who surrounded me and found myself up against a wall when my co-workers felt I was trying to do more ass kissing then spread Christmas cheer. I had to learn the hard way that it is not the dollar amount that counts.

I'll tell you what I am doing, maybe this could bring ideas.

Co-worker 1 (worked with her for 16 months) - I bought her a glass Thomas Kinkade box thing which was under $20---not an original, just some reprint deal. Inside I am going to put $20 worth of scratchers (lottery) in it. This gift suits her because she likes Thomas Kinkade and likes to gamble. It shows that I care about what she likes but I don't need to spend $100 doing it. It's small, like 4" x 3". Total amount spent $40. (rounded)

Co-worker 2 (worked with her for about 10 months) - I photographed her wedding and she is generally always strapped for cash so I am going to give her a 8x10 in a nice frame photo of her and her husband at their wedding. The gift is personal and she'll know it's from the heart and not the check book. Total amount spent $30.

Co-worker 3 (worked with her for just about 2 months and I still don't know her well) - Two movie tickets and $20 in scratchers. Unless I can dig deeper into her and what she likes, that's a safe gift.

Boss #1 - I am sort of attached to this person because we're very much alike and I have so much respect for her. On the same side, if she wasn't my boss we'd probably be best friends. For her Birthday I bought her a shuffle---but I gave it to her outside of work. This year she is getting $30 to itunes and something else, but that something else will most likely cost under $30.

Boss #2 - he's a vp and has been rather hard to get to know. As a matter of fact I know very little about him. He wrote me a recommendation for grad school...since you mentioned that. Anyway, for him he mentions this damn restaurant over and over so i think gift certificates to that place would be great.

My teachers aren't getting jack...mostly because I graduate before xmas and just having me in class is a gift enough. My family is where I spend the cash. It's worth it.

Maybe that'll help you.
  13. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    2,000 light years from home
    Whenever I am overwhelmed with a list of people who I am obligated to gift- I buy all of them The Clapper ! It's a great holiday gift, it says so on the box!:D ( I've done this twice, it works well )
  14. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    That helps me plenty. :) Thanks.

I guess someone needs to give me a lesson on gift giving and receiving etiquette ;) I've lowered my budget significantly. No worries.