Need Help with Colors and a (PC)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dont Hurt Me, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Please if you are a Mac Zealot look no further, after doing a lot of looking it looks like Iam going to buy a PC Gaming rig. I have decided on a Alienware Aurora with either AMD64 3400+/Nvidia 5700 ultra or Aurora AMD64 3200+/Nvidia 5950 ultra. This Machine compares with the Dual G5s but Apple is taking to long with the Rev B models plus Im still not sure if they will make the base a dual 1.8 or better. Then add to the fact that the PC side has so many more titles etc. This machine is going to be my Doom3/Far Cry Killer machine if you will.
    My questions are about the Rig & colors. Im leaning towards the Silver saucer(white) with blue Alien Ice. The Machine comes in Black,White,Yellow,Red,Purple,Green,Blue and Alien Ice comes in blue,green & red. My wife likes Purple with blue Ice. any opinions on color combinations or the rig itself. Also though i could build my own rig im not interested in doing so. Please tell me your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Nybombers142 macrumors member

buy neither

Buying a PC to just play games seems dumb to me. Just buy a nice powerbook, and then get a PS2(or X-Box) to play games. You never have to worry about videocards, ram, harddrive space, ect... plus its A LOT CHEAPER!! A true plug and play system, kinda like macs :)

3. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Come on how can you even compare a console with its poor system reqs on a TV at that to a modern computer??? I wont even go there. Consoles are fine for little Johnny and a small wallet. anyways no idea's on color combinations? or lower cpu and best video card vs higher cpu and slower video card?
    nybombers142 I allready have a g4 1.47 so its not like a powerbook is going to do anything for me.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Personally, I would have to say black. Yellow and purple are too out there. Silver is cool too, but I prefer black.

I would probably get the faster CPU, slower video card. The video card is much easier to upgrade than a processor, and with those specs, it wont need to be upgraded for a long time. I'm jealous.

5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I like the silver one... although I'd have to agree with the other poster who said just get a gaming system like an Xbox. ;)

6. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

People should really stop these "Buy a console if you want to play games" or "Computers are not for games" type of comments. A computer should do whatever you want it to do--whether it is to play games, listen to music, watch dvds, etc. We don't say things like "Buy a dvd player if you want to watch movies" or "Computers are for work, not music." Some games simply play better on a PC and are not even available on a console.

Anyhow, Dont Hurt Me, I prefer the silver case myself. However, I think Alienware is too expensive for what you get. Try this smaller outfit:

www. nutrend.com

You can get a pretty good Giga 64 system for under $2,000 depending on how you price it.

7. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You know I was thinking the same exact thing,I like the Black and I like the Silver(white) and was leaning towards the faster cpu and 5700 Ultra. thanks for the reply. Since I have allways used Macs I have never had a Real Gamer's Rig and this would be my first. And I agree with Mactheknife you pay big money for a machine it should darn well do everything, not well its good for everything but gaming lines we hear constantly.

8. &RU macrumors member

That rig would look verrrrry nice with one of those pearl paint jobs they put on hot rods. I am leaning toward the silver/white -- it would look great if you have an Apple LCD display. Does it light up in the front grille like that?

Question: Aren't those alienware rigs really pricey?

9. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

they range in price from $1500- 3000 depending what options you get and they let you build it anyway you want. Not like Apple at all. choose every componet. best thing are the reviews i have seen on these things.rated very high.

10. &RU macrumors member

All I can say is, good choice. I always built my own PC's so they were powerful, but (obviously) ugly -- you get the best of both. AMD is the right choice for chips, the only drawback is you'll be stuck with windows. ;)

Still for gaming I personally like consoles. I don't own one but I always thought the playstation had some very good games. I have never been a fan of 1st person shooters or sports games, so that kind of narrows things down on the PC.

11. Nybombers142 macrumors member

Sure computers are great. and anything i spend over $1000, damn well better play games. But try to get X-Box quilty Halo from a computer that cost $279.hmmmmmm This poor guys gonna spend 3 G's on a computer thats gonna be out spec'ed in two years. you could buy a 50 inch tv, a big comfy couch, and a cooler to hold your beer for that much. And intill PS3 comes out you know'll you can play the hottest games out there!

--plus PS2's dont crash, get bugs, or put more money in bill gates pants.

12. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have the TV,Couch and cooler. my target price is around $1800 same price as a new 1.6 G5 or Imac but this machine will eat a 1.6 for breakfast and still be hungry for that Imac. all you console lovers have no idea what its like to crank up resolution and detail and frames. Tv looks like crap compared to computers. If gaming is so bad then why is Apple pushing its gaming site constantly. Im getting a new machine and along with 100 other things it has to be able to game. And the specs on this thing will last a lot longer then any new Mac. G4s are being sold that are the speeds from 2-3 years ago so give it a rest. Please if your a Mac Zealot read my first sentence of this thread. Im looking for advice on colors and different set ups for this rig. Doom3/Far cry are calling and if history is right those wont be on Mac till 2005.

13. Nybombers142 macrumors member

You "PC gamers have lost touch with what games are supposed to be- FUN, CHEAP INTERTAINMENT! Why do you allways worry about frame rate, and resolution? ( by the by, almost any new PS2 game cranks 60 fps-) A game only needs to be FUN (ever play tetris?)and how can you kick back on a couch when you need to hold a keyboard, mouse, and the screen is 17"? Keep your work seprate from your play and get the best from both worlds.

p.s. enjoy windows XP, it's a joy!

14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

If you didn't want comments from 'Mac Zealots' as you call them, why on Earth did you post your question to a Mac forum??

Seems to me like you were just looking to start another flame war... as per usual.

15. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

playing top rated games on tv is like listening to the radio using AM. consoles are fine for little johnny but i want to crank up the resolution and candy and the frames. by the way im not a PC gamer I have been a Mac gamer for years but have tired of the stale hardware,the few good games we get and the fact that we are for the most part 6 months to a year behind the PC crowd. Please Im looking for comments on colors and the Rig itself such as ati vs nvidia or Intel vs AMD etc etc. FAR CRY looks really awesome and I would say if you havent checked it out you may want to.

16. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we have a lot of knowledgeable people here that use both machines thats why. Im looking for people with open minds and comments not comments from there is only my Mac World and nothing else exist outside of it though 90% of the world uses those other machines everyday. :eek:

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I like the purple, but it's obviously a personal choice. Silver seems too, well, G5-ish, and black'll show dust too easily. Yellow's cool, but maybe too easy to grow tired of.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I also agree with a previous poster - max out CPU, get a decent graphics card. The GPU is the heart of the system but easiest to exchange, either of the ones you mention are good enough for now, and you'll want to upgrade any card you get in a month or two anyway (even though you won't need to) - might as well minimize the loss!

And Alienware designs are wicked cool. Maybe pricier than some, but the innards are very well managed (get the cable management system, or whatever they call it, it's a minimal cost). Nice engineering.

And if you go with purple/blue, you also make the wife happy. And that is NEVER a bad thing.

19. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think the cable system is now standard, funny about the purple blue, when i was a kid i loved purple but now my taste has changed. Yellow looks kind of cool but i think it could get old fast. Seems Alienware is getting tight with some new releases and nvidia. they have a lot of promotions going. the wife thing could be important.

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Now I'm thinking purple/green. Then you'd have yourself an eggplant! :)

Have fun with your system - let us know what you decide....

21. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Cool computer. Wish I was getting one. Anyways, as to your question about the color, I think the silver/white looking one looks darn cool. I like the blue lights, they seem more peaceful than the other ones. (I bought the white JBL creatures speakers because of the blue LEDS) Good luck with the computer!

22. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

personally... i think the Pseudo Psy-HR.Giger design in all 4 colors looks like ass. To some, those cases may look slick now... but in 2 years they will look 2 years old. Kind of like Zubaz pants or LA Gear was.

which is why i have always perfered smooth lines and industrial design (cough.. apple)

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Little Johnny and a small wallet? Sorry, a lot of us don't have enough extra income to justify spending 3-4+ grand for a video game system. But hey, if ya got it, flaunt it, but don't give the rest of us console owners **** cuz we don't have the funds or patience to buy a dedicated gaming pc.

24. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Does this mean I get to stop hearing about how Apple needs to make an 18,000ghz single processor machine with the super-secret R500 prototype PCI-X^3 card and sell it for twenty bucks?

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, the posts have been a bit trollish, but give DHM a break. He wants a gaming machine, and Apple won't make one. Not his fault. He just wanted to get an Apple to do it for him, and he can't. I don't need a better gaming machine than I have, given my limited gaming and complete gaming ineptness, but I understand his desire for something better - "better" meaning better for him.