Need Help with Crap P.C. (wont post in mac hardware, dont want to dirty it)

Discussion in 'Community' started by furryrabidbunny, Sep 12, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Ok... this crap HP i have only has 256 ram. I have a few extra sticks of 256 lying around, but i have no way of knowing what type they are. Is there any harm in just sticking them in to see if they will work?

2. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Not that I can recall - with the new RAM, your PC will either boot or it won't, or it will freeze up constantly or it won't. There's a lot of operational consequences to putting in incompatible RAM, but AFAIK none that would destroy your system or MoBo.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If the stick physically fits, then it won't cause harm.

At best, it'll work great, running the stick out of spec.

At worst, the PC won't boot with the 'wrong' stick in there.

Most likely (all this is assuming a 'wrong' stick,) it will boot, but will boot slower than you want. For example, if it has an 866MHz processor, it might only boot at 650Mhz. (Because, for example, it uses a 133Mhz bus, and you put 100Mhz RAM in, so it would run the processor at only a 100MHz bus, dropping it's speed accordingly.)

Or, with lots of motherboards, the processor speed and RAM speed were independent, so it would run just fine, but the memory would run at the 'lowest common denominator' speed. This is especially true of newer DDR motherboards.

4. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

so basically, if the stick fits, and its faster than the memory the computer takes, it will clock down. I dont think that will be the case, the memory is older. I am just going to throw it in. I just dont want to ruin the computer, still need it for school.

5. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

ok... it takes 184 pin DDR266, PC2100. i have a friend with a 128 stick of 184 pin PC3200 (my memory didn't work). Would her's work? i figure the computer would just clock it down

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Technically it should. AFAIK, you should be able to put any speed DDR RAM into a PC and it will clock it down to the necessary speed.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, it should. And your statement isn't QUITE correct. There was PC1600. (Slower than PC2100,) but it was really unusual. By the time DDR became mainstream, PC2100 was the norm.

8. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

sweet... then i am upping my ram to 384! these system is crippled. it wouldn't be so bad if it had dedicated video memory. I get horrible lag when trying to open calculater while firefox is open.