Need help with dock

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Cam59, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Cam59 macrumors member

Well I just got my first mac a few hours ago and I have a really stupid question. How can I add things to the dock, like the application menu? Thanks.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can add your applications folder to the dock by dragging it there from the finder, but it will have to be next to the trash, also you can add other folders and such this way, to add an application just drag its icon to the location in the dock where you want it, if you want to remove one just drag it out

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Some more detail:

• dragging things out of the dock doesn't delete them - it just removes them from the dock (the original file/app/whatever is fine)
    • as mentioned, all folders need to be dragged to the right (the "Trash" side) of the vertical bar in the dock; all files or apps go to the left of that bar
    • dragging folders to the dock like your Applications folder is a great idea - right click on the folder in the dock (or control-click with a single-button mouse), and you see the contents, from which you can select the app/file you're looking for
    • you can drag things around on the dock - meaning that you can rearrange the order
    • be careful not to drag a lot of things at once onto the dock! you have to remove them one at a time, but, if you select a hundred things, you could add them all at once...oops!
    • in System Preferences (pull down the apple menu in the top left), there's a "Dock" preference panel. play around with the options....

4. Cam59 thread starter macrumors member

I draged my applications folder from the finder to the right side of the dock and it dissapeared from my finder and it didn't show up on the dock. How can I get the folder back? Thanks.

5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

you dragged it to your trash
    get it out and drag it back to your HD

6. Cam59 thread starter macrumors member

No I didn't drag it into the trash. I draged it to the dock and let go and then it disapeared.

7. bluebull macrumors member

Drag it just to the left of the trash icon; The trash icon should slide to the right, then put it in the space it gave.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Did you drag it from the sidebar? Sidebar is on the left in Panther and all drives/folders are in a column. You can't drag from sidebar or it'll disappear. I suspect this is what you did. Highlight your Applications folder from within the Macintosh HD and drag it back to the sidebar. Then drag it again to the dock.

Not the clearest thing I've ever written but hopefully you get what I mean.

9. Cam59 thread starter macrumors member