Need help with external dvd burner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xmozx, Jun 16, 2005.

1. xmozx macrumors newbie

May 4, 2005
    So I'm probably switching to a powerbook 1.67 this fall before I start grad school and I am in the process of archiving all my mp3s, movies, etc... from my current PC. I'd like to purchase a dual layer external burner that will be compatible to both my PC and future Powerbook. I'm thinking about the LaCie. Any thoughts?
    I found a firewire only model for $105 and a firewire/usb 2.0 for $129... are these decent prices? Should I pay the additional $24 for the usb 2.0? I need help. Thanks.
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Only pay the extra money if your current computer doesn't have FireWire. It might be helpful if you plan on using it on other with PC's that only have USB 2.0.
  3. acedickson macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2004
    Go with the firewire only external burner. Lacie is a good company that makes good hardware. $105 is a good price for an external burner, though you could probably find cheaper.

I found this Lacie D2 DL external burner to be the highest rated external burner. It's also Mac compatible, but it's $153.00.