Need help with file associations

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bbrovold, Jan 17, 2006.

1. bbrovold macrumors newbie

I was trying to get the DVD player running properly on my eMac running 10.3.9 which is another story but my concern is that I set the file association of .vob file (DVD's) to "DVD Player" when it should be set to <none> and I can't find a way to set it back. There is no apparent option in "Get Info" to select <none> as the application to open a file with.

Anyone have ideas on this?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

DVD Player plays DVDs. If you want to work with .vob files, give one of these apps a try.

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, this a new one for me, never heard of this situation coming up before. This is just a pure guess, but it's harmless to try. Select DVD player and right click (or control click) it, select create archive. You should now have a .zip file containing a copy of DVD player and the oringinal DVD Player. Move the original DVD Player to the trash and leave the archived version still zipped in the Applications folder. Restart your computer. When it boots up, check one of your .vob files and see of it's still associated. If it's back to none, take DVD player out of the trash and trash the zipped version. Restart your computer again and check the .vob file again. Hopefully the change will stick.

I have another idea too, but give that one a whirl and see of it works.

4. bbrovold thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yes that temporarily worked but after DVD player was replaced the file association reverted to DVD player. I even tried reinstalling DVD player from the archive and I'm afraid it only made an exact copy of the original, including the file association.

You mentioned another idea?

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Yep, but since then I stumbled on something that should solve it, hopefully, once and for all.

If you don't have it, download and install Onyx a free maintenance utility. Open that up (it will ask for your admin password) and select the maintenance tab. You see a list of various tasks that it's capable of handling. Uncheck them all except "links between documents and applications" in the Reset section. Press execute. When it finishes, you should be prompted to restart.

6. bbrovold thread starter macrumors newbie

Onyx is a nice program and I downloaded it for 10.3.9 and ran it but no joy. I ran it with the files in place also and still no joy.
    However, my DVD player is working fine and there doesn't seem to be any ill effect of the file association so, for now, I am going to have to learn to ignore it. I have upgraded to a new iMac G5 iSight PowerPC as my main computer and the problem is on the eMac which my wife will use to play internet games and let the grandchildren hammer on. I just wanted to make sure it could still run DVD's so the kids could watch a movie and stay away from my new computer. For some reason the DVD Player was acting up and that's how I made the mistake of re-associating the .vob file to the player.

Thanks for the help and the tip on Onyx. I have downloaded the 10.4 version for the new G5 as well.