Need help with ftp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hoop, Feb 8, 2007.

1. hoop macrumors member

Hi, evening/morning.

I'm having some trouble - I have to transfer a 640MB file to somebody, but physical media isn't possible due to time limits. I had the idea of using my computer (12"" powerbook w/panther) as a server, and letting the client FTP in. But I can't work out how...

could anybody help me please? Cheers.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Not that easy a question.....

If you want to setup your Mac as an FTP server, you must (obviously) first of all setup FTP access in System Preferences -> Sharing.

But for the FTP client to be able to connect, the network you're on must let it through.
    If both computers are on the same LAN, there is no problem.
    If your Mac is behind a NAT router (using a private IP address), then your NAT router must let the FTP transactions "forward" to your Mac.

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i hope i understand your post...

if not, ignore me. :eek:

there's a website called http://www.transferbigfiles.com. it allows you to upload a file, send a message to the recipient, who can then download the file. it's not super speedy, really, but it might do.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If you're on a slowish connection (or your client is,) next-day air is probably actually going to be faster. If your IP address starts with 192.168, 172.19, or 10, then you're going to have to set up some sort of translation or firewall rule that will allow FTP in, that's going to depend heavily on what sort of router/firewall you have.

For setting up OSX, here's the list-o-links to MacOSXHints for FTP configuration:

http://www.macosxhints.com/search.p...rt=&dateend=&topic=0&type=stories&mode=search

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That seems an easy way.
    Saves you the hassle of setting up the FTP server, and possible configuration of network settings.
    It seems that site will serve as temporary storage, so if the data is sensitive please be carefull.

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i believe it does serve as temp storage, but i only use it for large artwork files, so i'd never thought of the security issue. as long as it's not scary government confidential stuff...send away. ;)

it can't be beat for relatively quick transfer of large files, and it also saves on shipping and media costs.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

8. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Ok..... I got everything running... my brother is able to download from me...

BUT.......

I want to set up a specific folder where only he can have access to... not my whole computer...

how can I do this?