Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
@namethisfile would you my sharing the picture and link to the RX 460 you're using so that others can reference to it?

Sure. No, problem!

rx_460_photo_2_zpsuhyllyma.jpg

rx_460_photo_1_zpsqhawkmxb.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125897&cm_re=RX_460-_-14-125-897-_-Product

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
I wonder what's different about the Gigabyte ones that work and the XFX and others that doesn't?

gigabyte is known to stick fairly close to reference designs. this is part of why they're so popular with the hackintosh community. XFX however likes to put custom roms on their cards for overclocks, tweaks etc. Ive heard of people with troublesome XFX cards having luck with reflashes (like putting stock 280X rom on their "black edition" 280X) , but, you're really going down a rabbit hole there. better to just go with what works (which is a shame, because XFX makes some IMO really good looking cards, whereas Gigabyte's stuff frequently looks like it was designed by a 13 year old hopped up on caffeine and pop rocks

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
gigabyte is known to stick fairly close to reference designs. this is part of why they're so popular with the hackintosh community. XFX however likes to put custom roms on their cards for overclocks, tweaks etc. Ive heard of people with troublesome XFX cards having luck with reflashes (like putting stock 280X rom on their "black edition" 280X) , but, you're really going down a rabbit hole there. better to just go with what works (which is a shame, because XFX makes some IMO really good looking cards, whereas Gigabyte's stuff frequently looks like it was designed by a 13 year old hopped up on caffeine and pop rocks

Yeah. The Windforce coolers from Nvidia GTX 9xx series aren't bad though.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I returned my Asus 460 2GB card because of problems, in its place I have got a Gigabyte 460 4GB card, although slightly slower in benchmarks than my previous card, everything seems to work in Windows 10. Minecraft, Doom etc.
I will keep you posted.

Namasaki

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2016
Yeah. I have the Gigabyte RX 460 4GB VRAM working on mine, too. No editing, just plug and play. Also, no power cable required. :)

I wonder what's different about the Gigabyte ones that work and the XFX and others that doesn't?

XfX is PCIE x 16
Gigabyte is PCIE x 8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.