Need help with iBook admin issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mrduplicity, Oct 30, 2005.

1. mrduplicity macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2005
    ok, so i baught this iBook off of ebay, but there are still soooo many blocks. i've used it for about a month now and ive had enough. there is too much of my work to reformat, i cant even do that!.

all my problems are as follows. there are 2 accounts on here, a user (this was from a net cafe so the password was the same as name) and an admin. they cant give of the admin pass for there security. i cannot boot from cd, as the lock and password screen come up. i cannot choose a different boot device because again with the lock and pass. the open firmware is passworded so i cant reset it.

i need to know if there is anything i can do to fix this. maybe a program to retrieve the password or the firmware password. i remember a similar program of os9 called FWSucker that got it, but i can find nothing similar for os x. i cannot install anything that does not already come as an app, and i cannot write to anything but personal files.

i'm running an iBookG4/1.2ghz/12.1/combo.

any help would be much apreciated.
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    From your description it seems that a open firmware password has been set. There's a way around even that. From memory: Remove a RAM chip (if you have two, or loan one temporarily and add that), zap the PRAM then boot from a Mac OS X installer disk to either reset admin password or perform a clean install.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You can get rid of the password by adding or removing a memory stick (hopefully your iBook has an add-on stick installed so you don't have to go get one), then zapping the PRAM (hold down option-command-P-R while starting up, and waiting for the startup chimes to repeat) 3 times (that's 3 restarts, not just threee chimes).

[ed: pwned by teh Mitthrawnuruodo!!!1!]