Need Help with iMac G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kjs862, Oct 13, 2005.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

My girlfriend purchased an iMac G5 last year when the machine was first realeased. She used it for the school year and everything worked out fine. Over the summer the computer was not being used and now she is back at college the machine is very slow. Just tonight I backed up her music, photos, and word documents and formated the HD and installed tiger. After installing tiger and adding her data back onto the machine, the computer is still running very slow... any suggestions ?

Regards,
    Ken

2. kjs862 thread starter macrumors 65816

kjs862

But still, the machine when new didn't run as slow as this. I would think the ram that came with the machine would be fine for basic usage.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have at least 8GB free on the hard drive if possible.

In Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder within Applications), is there a single process using an abnormal amount of CPU or RAM?

Has anything been installed since last usage apart from files? Any third party apps?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Go into Energy Saver and make sure the performance is set to Highest, not Automatic.

Go into System Profiler and verify that all of your RAM is registering properly. If you have 512 Mb or less, get more.

Go into Disk Utility and Repair permissions
    Boot from the OS CD and go into Disk Utility and Repair the drive. Check the SMART status is OK

Get CacheOut X and delete unnecessary caches.

Leave the machine on overnight, so the maintenance routines can run, or use OnyX or other maintencnae utility to manually run them.

Turn off WiFi (airport) if you are on a wired network connection.

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Is this really necessary as I have about 3.5 gig left on my 30 gig iBook. I should of upgraded. I have noticed a bit of a slow down compared to when I had about 10 gig, but not to sure :confused:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well 8GB isn't necessary, it's ideal. I'd definitely want more than 3.5GB though. Depending on a lot of things (such as how much RAM you have and what you use your iBook for), only having 3.5GB spare may well be slowing down your iBook. :(

7. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Thanks for the reply. Its my music collection that is decreasing my space, I never thought that I would buy so much music. While I have a large external (for my standards anyway, 100GB ;) ) I prefer to keep music on my iBook for when I travel and for greater connivence.

*Looks at the Apple store and in particular the new iMac and realises that he is beginning uni next year, therefore edu discount*