need help with ipod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GiantsFan, Aug 28, 2004.

1. GiantsFan macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    san jose OR riverside, Cali
    im trying to register it, where is the MPN (marketing part Number) on the iPod?
  2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    my 3G doesn't list it externally, but you should be able to find it by: Settings-->About

i'm pretty sure what you are looking for is "model".. in the case of my original 15GB 3G (the one that came with a dock) it is M9460LL

if it is 4G, you should be able to find it on the page.. under "tech specs" somewhere...

good luck and enjoy your 'pod

edit: for current ipods (4G and mini):
    M9160LL/A (silver)
    M9437LL/A (gold)
    M9436LL/A (blue)
    M9435LL/A (pink)
    M9434LL/A (green)
    M9282LL/A (20GB)
    M9268LL/A (40GB)
  3. GiantsFan thread starter macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    san jose OR riverside, Cali

actually, i mistook an S for a 5, thats why the MPN came up, cuz the system didnt know what the hell i was tryin to register LOL
  4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    My Gen 3 iPod has the serial no. on the back, right under the 20gb logo. Its very small.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I tried registering mine for AppleCare yesterday and couldn't do so. It kept insisting that I was registering a G5 PowerMac. I called Apple. They also said that, yes, the serial number was that of a G5. Hmmm. Given that the iPod box, the back of the iPod, and the "About" screen all gave the same serial number, I'm guessing that either (a) Apple made a mistake, or (b) the new G5s are a lot smaller than my 'old' dual-2.0. They finally decided that maybe they'd made a mistake, and allowed me to register, then found on another system that the serial number was legitimately an iPod. Imagine my relief! :rolleyes: