Need Help with itunes folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GetGo, Jan 2, 2005.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2004
    New Jersey
    Need Help with itunes folders

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. I am a fairly new Mac user. I have a 12" ibook and I have all my music on the Mac. Im putting all my mp3s in itunes and organized them. I also played around with backing them up.

Anyway my question is. When I go into iTunes it shows that I have 4.50 Gig of mp3s. Then I go to the Finder window and click on the iTunes folder in music. I do the "apple key and I" to get the size of the folder which should be the same as the iTunes player. It is not, it is doubled 9.0 Gig.

I have a feeling I duplicated the folder. This is taking vauable space on my 20 Gig Hard Drive iBook. I'm afraid to delete one of these folders because I have spent a lot of time fine tuning the play lists, names, and artists.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the files. Can someone tell me which file to delete.

By the way there are no duplicate songs when I open iTunes.

Attached Files:

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    yes, I believe you may have copied it. Look in the other floder labeled itunes and i'm betting there'a another library. Try this in the menu bar: itunes>advanced>consolidate library. This organizes the library to make sure all the "ducks" are in a row.
  3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    "Consolidate Library", "....will copy all your music into the iTunes Music Folder", this cannot be undone

That is directly from the iTunes "Advanced menu"

That will make duplicate copies of everything outside the iTunes folder and place it in the Library.

As I see it iTues is reading the compressed value of the mp3 and not the actual space it takes up on the HD. just as a jpeg file in Photoshp shows you 2 different values 12mb/36mb the 12 is the size it takes on the HD and the 36 is the size it would be if uncompressed and saved as a .tif file.

Make sense?

The finder's (get info) cmnd+i is telling you that these files are larger than iTunes is telling you.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Based on the screen shot, it looks like you have two copies of the "iTunes" folder. In your "music" folder, there is a folder "itunes." Within that should be your iTunes library and your "itunes music" folder, which then includes all your music. But you have an additional "itunes" folder within your first "itunes" folder. My bet is that folder is an exact duplicate of the iTunes folder containing it.

Check your iTunes preferences (under "advanced") to see which folder your iTunes program is looking for. If you're lucky, iTunes will be looking for all your music in this folder. If you're unlucky, this preference was changed at some point and you'll need to do a little more rooting around to find out which music comes from where.

You can then just move one of your duplicate folders to the desktop and see which songs iTunes can find. Make sense?
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Makes sense, but you are wrong. iTunes and the Finder will give you nearly the same readings. I'm betting you duplicated something. The iTunes folder within the iTunes folder is a likely culprit.
  6. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2004
    New Jersey
    In your music folder do you have a folder that says iTunes or iTunes Music?

Thanks for the help.....
  7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio