Need Help With itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uh_heavenly, Sep 19, 2005.

1. uh_heavenly macrumors newbie

I'm having some trouble with my i tunes on my mac powerbook...well not trouble really...I heard that you can copy music from other mac users through shared music. I've seen someone who can do this but currently i can't get in touch with her, i was wondering if anyway here can help me with this. thx a bunch

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

You can't copy music through shared music but rather just share playlists. All you need to do is go to your iTunes preferences, click on the sharing tab, click the share my music box and hit OK. Go to other computers on your network and repeat process. Playlists should be in your source menu. Reminder: for songs bought on iTMS, you will need to authorize your computer and when a computer on the network is turned off or asleep, their playlist goes bye bye until they start up again. Enjoy.

3. uh_heavenly thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm kind of confused, this way I can copy other people's music or listen to other people's music? Becuase I want to be able to have it on my own computer so i dont' have to be online to listen to other people's music

4. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

The above way is just a way to share the music. You do not have the actual song file. There are numerous ways to copy files from one computer to another. Over the network (go to system preferences, enable personal file sharing, connect via network), burn files onto a disk, start one computer in Firewire Target disk mode (hold down "T" during startup, connect computers with firewire cable), etc. However you do it should be whatever is most conveinant. Note: the encription of all iTMS songs is still in effect. Your computer will still need to be authorized to listen to the songs.

*DISCLAIMER* The above statements are not meant to encourage the sharing of copywrited materials. You do so at your own risk (both legal and Karma).