Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Even in light of the recent arguements, I still hope that people can talk and get help with Tiger. These forums are helpful when you need help, and I'd like that to continue even with Tiger. Yes, I could go to the Apple's Developer "discussions," but I'd like to continue to post here. With that said:

Well, my install of TIger went fine, and has been for the last few days. I've decided to move my stuff into Tiger, because I'll be spending most of my time there anyways. Well, I copied my documents to my iPod so that I could erase my extra drive before I installed Tiger. Well, as I started loading things back in, my iPod would give Tiger a kernal panic whenever it was connected. So I booted back into Panther to copy the rest. I cleaned off the iPod, so all would be well. But, now whenever I boot into Tiger, it kernal panics during startup, either at the Internet Connection process or while the "thing" is still spinning. I've done a few things to try to fix it (permissions, repairs, clearing caches, etc.) but to no avail. I would think that some data on the iPod was causing this, but it was just music! If anyone could make some suggestions as to what to do, that would be great. I really don't want to re-install Tiger...
–Chase

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Re installing Tiger should fix it.

Serously, it took me like 30 minutes to install it. You don't need a DVD burner to install it all you have to do is go to System>Installation>Packages and open the OSinstall.mpkg.

You don't need to reboot or anything. You can even stay in Panther and brows the internet while its installing.

Of coures kernel panicks could also happen because of other conflicts, try removing any 3rd party RAM and unplugging any un-necessary USB or FireWire devices.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Nothing third party is in or connected to my G5. There aren't even applications (except Firefox) that are loaded into the system. Btw, that's how I installled Tiger, since my G5 isn't "supported" by the installer.
–Chase

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
are you sure you really want to be using Tiger? you'll probably get kernel panics lots more. if you're going to keep using it you'll have to fast learn how to deal with these issues yourself, mainly because of the frequency of them, and because people here will quickly get bored and annoyed with reading such basic topics over and over.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
cb911 said:
are you sure you really want to be using Tiger? you'll probably get kernel panics lots more. if you're going to keep using it you'll have to fast learn how to deal with these issues yourself, mainly because of the frequency of them, and because people here will quickly get bored and annoyed with reading such basic topics over and over.

And call you a "n00b," because God knows they are Jobs-incarnate & you must have gotten a DVD-R copy. :rolleyes:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
sockeatingdryer said:
And call you a "n00b," because God knows they are Jobs-incarnate & you must have gotten a DVD-R copy. :rolleyes:

if you dont have anything helpfull to post dont post it

btw about ipod realated 10.4 stuff my ipod wont let me copy files across it gives me an error message error type some random number

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.