Need help with Macintosh posters.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Midnite, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Midnite macrumors newbie

Hi, my name is Marcin Wichary, I am new here, and I was hoping some of you could help me out with a project of mine... I understand that probably not a very good way to introduce myself is to ask for something in the very first paragraph, but I'll also be giving something in return. :)

I am currently in the process of creating a series of fourteen non-commercial posters commemorating the upcoming 20th birthday of the Macintosh and giving it more recognition it deserves. And I'm in a really big need of high-quality graphic materials:

• scans or photographs original 1984's Macintosh packaging (big box + small boxes),
    • scans of manual(s) from Macintosh, Mac 512K or Mac Plus,
    • scans of promotional materials (posters, leaflets, ads) from the original Macintosh... especially the 1984's Macintosh "Newsweek" brochure,
    • aerial view photos of Macintosh keyboard and mouse,
    • scans of magazine articles from 1984-1986 regarding Macintosh.
    Unfortunately, these are impossible to find on the Internet (well, some of these can be found, but not in high quality needed for big posters).

I would be really grateful if somebody could help me out getting these. I'm more than sure that there are many people out there with original Macs and digital cameras/scanners... I've already asked in some places, but got virtually zero responses. :(

You can see first drafts of four posters from the collection at www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/mac20th. I will be more than happy to release the posters into public domain and send them to anyone who wants them as soon as they are finished.

My e-mail is mwichary@aci.com.pl. Thank you in advance for any help you could provide!

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I like the Happy Mac Obituary poster on your site ... sorry I can't help with any high-res scans :(

3. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and I appreciate that.

If anyone wants to see them too, there are other Mac-related GUI posters at my site.

4. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

5. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

What kind of Mouse?

Would an LCIII-era ADB mouse/keyboard work?

7. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid not -- I have LC II mouse/keyboard myself (probably the same as yours). I'm interested in the original mouse and the original keyboard only...

But thanks for interest!

8. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

I have added two more posters. Hope you like them.

Could anyone at least tell me what the original Macintosh manual was like (what was inside it)?

9. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Im afraid I can't help you with the original apple manuals, but I can tell you a little bit about the apple 2 manual:

It was actualy a series of manuals that were much more informative than todays. They told you how to make programs for your Apple 2 and how to set it up, etc. they showed you how to hook it up to your tv and play games. They also showed a picture of the family all infront of the tv playing with the apple 2. I can't find the manuals at the moment, but I will tell you more if I do find them.

11. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

I have actually added a "documentation" poster (and a "family" one), but I'm not all that happy about it, so it can still be changed.

13. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

The Macintosh 20th anniversary posters are officially finished. :) If you're interested in the original print-quality PDF files, just let me know.

Huge thanks to everyone who helped me do this!

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Those are very nice posters Midnite. I do remember at the begining of Apple, like Steve Jobs mentioned they had tutorials to teach us how to use the mouse, point, click, copy and paste.

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Midnite, those are very nice posters. They look very professional with the touches you have added to them. My favorite one is the "family" poster. I think I would definately be interested in getting some of those..

Im sorry I could not find those manuals for you. I also just moved a few months a go so I still have a lot of stuff packed away.

16. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Wonderful posters. They remind me very much of the old days of Apple.

On a side note, I found the website of Susan Kare, who designed the original icons for the Macintosh. www.kare.com. Also googling "susan kare interview" came up with a few interviews with her, interesting reading. Seeing the interface poster you designed reminded me of an interview I read with her a few months back.

17. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not distributing the actual posters, if that's what you're asking for, but I can give you the PDF files to print using your own means...

Don't worry, it's the thought that matters. :)

18. Midnite thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly the reason I did this for, so the people could just stop by and reflect, and maybe go back to some of the nice memories they had. Thanks!