Need help with monitor refresh rate on NT4.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bengt77, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Hi all,

I just did a Very Stupid Thing this morning. At work, I had to use a Windows NT4 machine for a while, but it's monitor settings were somewhat odd, so I opened up the display settings as soon as it had finished booting. I then also saw that the refresh rate was set to 85Hz, so I changed that to a higher setting (100Hz, I believe), but after that, the screen went blank.

I've tried rebooting in safe mode (although it's called differently on NT4), but I didn't get the controls I got when in normal mode. Nevertheless, I studied the keyboard commands necessary to get to the refresh rate setting, so I would be able to change it when in normal mode, even without any display to guide me. But alas, that doesn't seem to work. I've tried that twice, but with no luck; the display is still black. It's displaying a hardware message about the vertical and horizontal frequencies it's using, or whatever it means.

What I'm looking for, as you'll understand, is a way to return to the 85Hz setting that actually worked. Does anybody know of an easy way that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows or anything even remotely unnecessary? I'd be really happy. Damn, I wish Windows had that Mac option that only shows you the refresh rates your display is able to handle.

Stupid Windows! (Yeah, I know, and stupid me... :eek: )

2. 40167 macrumors regular

Well the best option (next time) would be if you set the monitor incorrectly, just leave and get yourself a cup of coffee or something... it'll eventualy reset back to the previous setting if you dont push anything. (newer systems... 2000/XP... if your monitor is pnp, or you install the driver if there is one, then windows will only display the options that your display can handle)

As for how to fix it now, safe mode really should have worked... but if it doesnt, what I would do is trough safe mode and install VNC; then boot up normaly and correct the problem from a remote computer. Thats probibly quicker than finding a monitor that can take 100htz to borrow for a while, and its definitly quicker than reinstalling windows.

Edit: Just remembered one thing that should work, in safe mode... go to the device manager and remove the video driver... that would force the system on the next bootup to reinstall it and go back to 640x480 or something of that nature... now if your missing the video card driver then you would not want to try this as NT4 doesnt operate like XP where it keeps old drivers so you don't need the cd incase you wish to reinstall the device. (and even with XP it doesn't always work, lol) ~ There is the possibilty that NT4 has the driver for the video card though, if its like some old 1mb PCI card or something... if its something newer, you'll need the disk.

3. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Ahhhh! Now that's some good advice. Didn't realize it, but the sysadmin has VNC installed already, so it should be a no-brainer then. Didn't really want to go and tell him about this problem, though. Felt so stupid about myself...

4. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Okay, I seem to get stupider with the minute...

I've fixed it, but don't ask further... I'll tell you.

I could have fixed it right away, but I forgot one thing. To log onto the Novell network. I forgot typing the CTRL-ALT-DEL keystroke and my password and to press ENTER twice. Then, I clicked the right mouse button on what I presumed would be the desktop, pressed E for Eigenschappen (that's Dutch). At that moment, the monitor settings window would have appeared, if it weren't for that blank screen. But, I pressed SHIFT-TAB anyway, to move the focus to the top tabs in the window, then pressed the RIGHT arrow button five times, to get to the settings tab. Then, I pressed TAB four times, to get to the refresh rate pulldown menu. Then, I pressed the UP kay several times, until I was sure I reached a refresh rate the monitor could handle, and pressed ENTER twice. That didn't seem to work, so I pressed the LEFT key and then ENTER and - voilà - there it was again: I had the display working again!

Darn, that felt good. Didn't even had to go to the sysadmin to have him VNC the machine. Did it on my own alltogether. Ha!

:D