Need help with my Dual G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mike Teezie, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

A few weeks back, the logic board in my Powermac died. I was without Applecare, and the board failed 1 week late of the year cutoff for me to be able to buy Applecare. I called up the local authorized repair center, and the board is $1079, plus tax, and installation. So that's about $1300-$1400 to get my machine fixed. BTW, I had to take this semester off from school because I have to have my mac (graphic design major) to do school work

I don't see the point in spending that much on a g4 machine. SO.....

I see powermac parts on EvilBay from time to time, and I was thinking - I couls "part out" everything thats good in my machine and try to raise money for a G5. I could sell:

Both 1.25 Cpus
    Case
    Power Supply
    RAM (3 512 sticks)
    80 gig HD
    Combo Drive
    video card

How much should I ask for each of these things? And wouldn't is be better to sel this stuff individually than trying to sell a dead machine in need of a logic board?

Thanks for reading, and any help is greatly apprecitaed. Im a poor college kid, and not having my Mac is seriously making things complicated here.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Have you thought of just buying another G4? List price for a Dual 1.25GHz from Apple is $1,599.00 (US). As a student, you would get some discount off of that.

You could then add the memory and drive from your old system to the new system. As well as adding the drive(s).

And then either sell the leftover parts or keep them for spares.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Figuring out what stuff is worth on eBay isn't usually too hard, so long as whatever it is is periodically up for sale; do an advanced search for the item, and select the "completed auctions only" item. Look for ones that sold and how much they sold for, and you've got about what you can expect to get.

This'll also give you an idea of what style of auction tends to sell better--for example, graphics tablets without the pen go for way less than with, even though the pen isn't worth much.

You can, of course, wish that your item is worth more, but you're not likely to get more than other people have recently unless you're very lucky, and if you set a higher price you're not likely to sell at all.

Personally, I'd probably go the other way around and see if I could find a motherboard on eBay for a reasonable price, though it doesn't seem likely for a computer that new.

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

why not just go on ebay and buy a new logic board
    it'll cost a bit but maybe 300 or so but you'd have a working computer and wouldn't have to deal with trying to get rid of odds and ends

5. lha72 macrumors member

I would recommend looking for another motherboard on e-bay and either installing it yourself, or having a friend install it for you. You have a good machine, with good parts. You should be able to get a board from a parted out comparable dual 1.25 and fix your machine for around $400. That is certainly a lot better than paying the overly inflated price for a G5 which will give you at best a marginal improvement in what you are currently doing with your G4. Granted, if you were in the video business, or had to do similar processor intensive work, a G5 might be worth it. But as a hard working student, you should stick with your dual 1.25. In a year or two Apple might finally get around to putting out a G5 that is worth upgrading to from a dual 1.25. But for now, look at the current G5's much like the first G4's befort the sawtooth board - good, but not great.

6. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I feel the G5 is leaps and bounds ahead of the G4 machine, but that's neither here nor there.

The fact is, I don't have a computer for school. I haven't seen a logic board on ebay in four weeks, looking every day. I could put the thing in myself, but no authorized reseller or repair shop will even sell me the part, they have to install it.

I wouldn't feel like a smart consumer spending 1500 on a new Dual G4 when a Dual 1.8 G5 can be had for not much more on Ebay, and the tech is so outdated in the G4 in contrast to the G5. And since I have no way to buy a waranty for this machine, what happens if a cpu fails? Or the logicboard again? I'm screwed once more.

I learned the hard way that you can't afford to not buy Applecare. I don't like the fact that for over 3 grand Apple can't seem to build a computer that lasts longer than a year, but maybe I was just unlucky and will have better luck with a new machine. Either way, it won't matter, because I'll have Applecare.

Music is my main passion in life which is suprememly cpu intensive. And I do Audio production on the side to make extra money, which is suprememly cpu intensive. I'm getting into FCP 4 as well, which is going to be cpu intensive.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I have 3 machines, all over a year old. The only repair one of them need was a new keyboard. The keyboard was about half the price of Applecare since it was an iMac, so on that system Applecare may very well pay for itself. Who knows, it may very well pay for itself on all 3 systems.

Applecare is a good thing to get as you never know what might happen. Yes, most people never need to use the extended warrenty, but it is cheap insurance for most of the systems. On laptops, it's not as cheap relative to the price of the laptop, however, more things can go wrong on a laptop since it is jostled around. And if Apple had the cover anything [except theft] warrenty Dell has for laptops available, I would shell out the extra $100 or so (that Dell charges) for it. You never know when a laptop might get dropped or other wise damaged when carrying it around.

8. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

From the Off-topic for sure Deptartment:
    Buying a PowerBook without AppleCare is NOT a good idea. Buying ANY portable (Apple or Otherwise) without some type of warranty is just as dumb. If you have to send it in once for repairs - it pays for itself. I've had laptops since 1995 and I haven't had one that I didn't have to send back at least once.

9. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I agree about the Applecare guys. I could have had my Powermac back by now, and I wouldn't be typing this on my dad's two year old VAIO laptop.

:(

I was thinking about it last night, and now I need some other suggestions. Would the difference in a single 1.8 machine vs. my Dual 1.25 be that great?

I could probabyl score a 1.8 G5 machine off of ebay for around $1700.

I could get a Dual 1.25 G4 from the Apple store for about $1600, and put my existing RAM in it (1.5 gigs).

I could get a Dual 1.8 G5 from ebay for around $2,200.

I'm just trying to make the smartest move based on money, the technology, and what I need the machine to do. I'm off to do some research on the single processor G5s....

10. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

Stop talking and Start Doing!

OK - you're in school - if you want to buy new - get one from Apple via your educational discount: Example: Dual 1.8 for 2299 - maybe just a hair more expensive than e-bay - but at least you know it is not stolen.

Dual or Single - it depends on what you do - if you do a lot of video - you have to have a dual. Anything else and a single will be OK - unless you are doing A LOT computational work.

One Caution: It appears Apple will be introducing new systems soon. If you can wait to WWDC - then I would wait. If you are in school and you took the semester off - then you can wait until early summer.

Personally, if I was buying new - buy as much PX as you can afford. If you are really on a budget - buy 1 step down from the top of the line. I would never buy a 1.6 G5 - a waste of money.

But - your best choice is to replace the mother board and used the 1.25G you have until their is a compeling reason to purchase a G5 (like a Dual 3G!)

11. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Thanks for the reply Tommy.

THe only thing is, I just can't justify throwing $1400 at a machine I cant get Applecare for, you know?

I'm going to wait, and save my pennies, becuase if the new PMs come out, maybe a can score a Gen1 Dual 1.8 for cheaper from Ebay.

Guys, cherish every sencond you are on OS X. When you have to go back to Windows, its a pretty crappy thing.