Need help with my mac plus ...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Ryan118, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Ryan118 macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2006
    Well ...
    You see i bought a Macintosh plus off the UK ebay for 99p ( About $2)
    I also got with it ...
    A image writter 1
    A 20SC hard drive
    A lot of manuels
    A very old apple modem.
    A carry case for my mac plus
    And a very old apple Sound recording thing ...
    Oh and a mic.

Anyway i think the mac plus might have been upgraded from an earlier macintosh because it just has the apple logo on the front. ( No apple loco then mac plus sign)

Now the whole point of this post.

A cupple of nights ago when i got the mac, I pluged it in found the start up disk and started to try and install the hard drive.
    I EVENTUALY Got the hard drive to work.
    Then i disconected to Hard dive to try somthing, But as i was doing that, The Competer end of the SCSI lead came off. Only the cover which covers the PINS came off.
    ever since then my hard drive wont connect to the mac. It wont install either.
    I dont know wether it is the SCSI lead that is broken or the plug in bit on the computer thats broken.
    I also notist that the plug in bit on the computer is a bit wobbly.

Please help. :confused:
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Always completely power down the Mac and drive before plugging or unplugging SCSI peripherals.

look for a new SCSI cable. Any Mac shop will have a dozen or so kicking around the back warehouse.

The SCSI drive may need a terminator on the 2nd (empty) SCSI connector.

You probably need a new PRAM battery in the machine (About $6 - 12)
  3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    Doesn't sound like much can be done here besides taking the Mac Plus apart and seeing if there are broken solder joints on the SCSI port. It might be easier to simply replace the logic board, or maybe the whole computer. :(

You could try another SCSI cable, but from the sounds of it, I doubt you'll have much luck with that.
  4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    Are you sure the disk isn't simply corrupted and you need to reformat it? That happened to me a few times when accidently unplugging SCSI stuff while it was running...
  5. Ryan118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2006
    Thank alot for your advice.
    I tryed adding a diffrent SCSI lead but that did'nt work. It must be the solder joints.
    Where would you get Them mac opening kit because it's imposible to get in them things. I dont want to have to pry the case open because it's a old 128K case.

Also, If your looking for old mac or other computers ,Just go to your local high school and they have loads ... Like yesterday when me and my mate were were in the audio visual room looking for the scsi cable we found alsorts ... like G3 towers & a apple ][ and Imacs ..
  6. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    Opening kit?? go to a parts store and get a long handled T9 screwdriver its only like 4 screws 2 up in the handle and 2 on on each side of the ports. Pull it apart, watch the screen, look at the sigs on the inside of the case and have fun!