Need Help With New Ram

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Free From PC, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Free From PC macrumors member

Hey All,

I need some quick help. I have a flat panel iMac and I just bought more Ram for it but I don't know much about the hardware side of computers. How do I go about putting in the new Ram? Besides unscrewing the bottom cover on the computer! :)

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

the procedure should be outlined fairly well in your iMac manual... but a few points:

make sure to ground yourself first. touch some metal object that's plugged into the power outlet via a three prong plug.

make sure you put in the ram in the correct direction. align the notch correctly.

push firmly and evenly until the securing clips come into place.

that's about it.

after you install, check the system profiler to make sure the new ram is reflected in the total. and if you notice the system being flaky, take actions immediately to see if it's the new ram. if it is, get it replaced!

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

A quick question, indeed, but not such a quick answer:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html
    (Includes pictures with some labels)

Pretty extensive walkthrough. Somewhat thorough.

EDIT: You only need to read through the preamble, steps 1, 2, 2.1, and 6. The rest is for more involved installlations.... This is what you pay for in a $30 installation fee for a free RAM upgrade. I guarentee you, those tools aren't the cheapest...

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think the RAM upgrade mentioned in the article above is to replace the factory installed, user UNaccessible slot. if the orig. poster is simply interested in putting in the RAM in the user accessible slot, then iMac manual is all you need. (doing a disassembly like in the article may void your warranty, as mentioned in the article.)

changing the ram in the user accessible slot will not void your warranty.

5. Free From PC thread starter macrumors member

Uh oh

Well I did buy one to replace the current (factory) ram. I have an airport card and I think that was the last place I had for "user UNaccessible slot". This doesn't seem as easy as I was hoping it was going to be.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

airport slot is different from RAM slot... not sure what you meant in your post, i got the impression having an airport affected the RAM slot...?

iMac has two user accessible slots. one RAM and airport. there is another factory installed RAM deep inside the case usually unaccessible by the users. that's the one the article is talking about replacing. otherwise, the only RAM upgrade you can do is in the user accessible one.