Need help with OSX10.2.8

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macnbc, Dec 23, 2004.

1. macnbc macrumors newbie

I have experienced software "slowdowns" recently. It has occurred with AIM, IE and PrintShop for OSX. I am seeing the "beachball" spin way too much. It is most annoying with AIM. The lag time between mouseclicks and actions becomes so bad that it can't even keep up with my typing. I have tried reinstalling all of the above applications.(after removing old prefs) The problem seems to resolve if I log out and then log on again. The problem gets worse the longer I am logged on. I realize the issue must be associated with my username, but have no idea how to resolve it. I've even tried a clean install and repaired permissions with no success. I've read my "missing manual" but don't really see a solution. I'd appreciate any help one can give this longtime (since 1989) Mac fanatic. I am running OS 10.2.8 on a sawtooth G4 with a 1Ghz. processor upgrade from Sonnet, and 640 MB of ram.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not that this will be applicable/helpful to you, but I experienced the same (also with 10.2.8) and it was because I was almost out of diskspace.

I doubt you are as absent-minded as I am, but on the off-chance...

3. macnbc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for a quick suggestion.

I have almost 9GB free. Is that considered running out of diskspace?

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Haha. No.
    I will think it over. Perhaps in the meantime a more knowledgeable person will step in to help.

I wish you the best of luck.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As I read what you wrote more closely, it sounds unlikely because you tried a clean install, but perhaps also try updating prebindings. Or else I think you might have to go down the bad hardware path...perhaps bad ram or something like that.