Need help with Parallels and graphics drivers

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Max Payne, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I installed Parallels more than once and I can't get the graphics card's driver to install. I still get an 8MB Parallels drivers installed. What should I do?

Again, I am sorry for hijacking the thread. :eek:

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

While Parallels tools is trying to install? Are you installing on a Bootcamp based VM?

3. Max Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I am. I installed Win XP using Bootcamp long time ago. I am using the same drivers for the parallels Win XP installation. Was that stupid? Do I need different drivers? :eek:

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

So you installed XP a long time ago using BootCamp. When you did Paralles did you use the BootCamp option within Parallels or create a new virtual machine? Either way the action to take now would be to click (while your VM is started in Paralles) Actions [in the menubar] and then Install Parallels Tools.

5. Max Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. I installed Bootcamp and Win XP on November. I deleted both Win XP and bootcamp a week later. Now I installed Parallels, followed by Win XP. When the whole installation finished, I insterted the drivers CD (from bootcamp assistant). I was asked to restart. I restarted, but the drivers were not installed.

Do I need a different ay of drivers installation?

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Yes. The BootCamp drivers don't apply to Parallels. Like I said above, Actions > Install Parallels Tools while the VM is running.