Need Help with PHP Forums

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MacEffects, Mar 14, 2006.

1. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I am working on the Froums on my site HERE and I want to show the Title of the most recent post like on here MacRumors, unless MacRumors is the only site with this, and I am sure this is not the case. Also I would like to add Google AdSense to the top of the page too, to help pay for hosing fees. But I don't know where the file is to begin with, also it is most likly CSS or PHP and not the HTML code I need to add to use it... Well, any help would be great and much appreciated.

Thank You!

2. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Long time no see.

I don't think PhpBB has an easy way of doing this. You may be required to add a plug in. Search their forums for more info.

Something you should know: phpBB has frequent security flaws. Unless you update it every week, expect your forums to be hacked.

You may want to check out Vanilla, PunBB, or Simple Machine Forums (SMF) as an alternative. All of them will be able to transfer your existing forums (posts, messages, etc) without trouble.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Here's one....well not quite a plugin...

4. MacEffects thread starter macrumors 6502

Awsome it worked great! Now, I need to figure out where to put the Google AdSense Bar, in HTML - any ideas?

Also - Hi Chris its been a while I'll talk to you on AIM sometime. ;)

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

From memory: There should be a header file - <phpinstalldir>/includes/page_header.php

You may be able to add your Adsense snippet somewhere in there.

6. MacEffects thread starter macrumors 6502

GREAT it worked!! Thank you VERY Much!

7. littlejim Guest

PhpBB's last update (2.0.19) was Dec 30th 2005.
    2.0.18 update was on October 31st 2005.

PhpBB has had security problems, some serious, but not so bad as it needing to updated every week.