Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I've heard someone on here mention this helps with sending files over msn which I have not been able to do as of yet. however the main reason is that I'm getting poor download rates over p2p, primarily bittorrent to which a pc friend of mine suggested forwarding the ports.

I know where to set it up just not how(airport admin utility, port mapping) what I need to know is which ip to enter and where to find out what this ip is, also does it go in the private or public port.

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Get the IP from clicking the network section in system preferences for the computer you want the port open to. And you put the port # in both fields.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I'm probably just an idiot but why wont it let me input the ip's decimals into the private/public port input fields? o_O

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
is the port # part of the ip? cause I'm clueless, and frankly I feel dumb. :eek:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Lets say you want to map port 2932 to 10.0.1.196

you'd have to fill in like:

And i dont know what you need to map this port for, but if you were to be accessing this from a web browser, you'd type in *public ip*:2932

EDIT: I just reread your post, and so it seems you won't need to be accessing it from a web browser... But I don't understand.. I don't see how forwarding ports would help with your bittorrent rates

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
LoL, I'm just going by what a friends was suggesting to fix the problem I'm having downloading off of bittorrent through my wireless router.

this whole port forwarding is all new to me. :confused:

anyways thanks for trying to help me out.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
FistfulofAngst said:
LoL, I'm just going by what a friends was suggesting to fix the problem I'm having downloading off of bittorrent through my wireless router.

this whole port forwarding is all new to me. :confused:

anyways thanks for trying to help me out.

Port forwarding won't help download rates - it is used to allow certain internet requests get through to a given IP address on your network.

In your original post you mentioned that you can't use MSN for sending files. This may or may not be a port issue, but if it is, follow Chaszmyr's advice and enter the ports and the local IP address. It sounds like your friend may have an idea as to what port MSN uses.

Once you set up forwarding on your router, you shouldn't have to change it regardless of if you have a static or dynamic IP from your ISP. Port forwarding simply sends calls that make it to your router to an internal (LAN) IP address.

Therefore, you'd have to change it if your local IP address changed due to DHCP or some other reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.