Need help with Powerbook...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by whiskey, Aug 23, 2006.

1. whiskey macrumors member

Aug 23, 2006
    Hey guys, I really need some advice as I do not have a lot of knowledge with regards to computers and even less so when it comes to apple.

I'm currently a freelance photographer, and I tend to do quite a bit of photo-editing. I was originally going to buy the macpro to replace my current pc, but my friend showed me the iMac. It seems like a very nice unit and definitely cheaper than the macpro. He told me that once PS CS3 comes out, the Imac should be efficient for my needs and that it would be out this coming spring.

I was thinking of picking up a powerbook to use until CS3 comes out. I'm hoping that when CS3 comes out and works well with the Imac, that I would just keep the powerbook for location shooting and Imac as my main workstation. The combination would be about the same price as a new mac pro.

My question though is which unit is faster?

powerbook 15" g4 1.33ghz + 1gig of ram

my pc which is a p4 2.4ghz + 1 gig of ram.

I really want to get a laptop for location shooting, but only if its faster than my current computer.

Also, what is a good deal for the powerbook, I am able to get it for around $1500cdn with two years warranty.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully someone can help me.
  2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    A good deal on a powerbook of the kind you want would probably be $1000 with the warranty. If you look hard on ebay and craigslist you may find what you're looking for.

About your computer, I don't know. If you have photoshop for pc already then you can probably already buy an iMac, put Windows on it, and use photoshop there.