need help with shared printer and pdfs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tobefirst, Sep 15, 2005.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The office just got a new printer and we're having problems setting it up. I'm hoping someone can help me out. Here's the deal:

The printer, an Epson Stylus R1800, is connected to our server via firewire. The server is a Power Mac G4 running OS X Server 10.2.8. Our personal computers are connected via the local area network to the server. We have installed the printer drivers onto the server and enabled shared printing.

The printer shows up fine on the desktops and I've printed an Illustrator file just fine. However, when we try to print pdfs, they are just kicked out of the system somehow and the printer just says, "No job printing." In addition, when printing from Quark, all eps files are low res and appear all bitmapped.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get this printer up and working correctly?

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I found this on Epson's website.

This article explains how to select the correct PPD for your EPSON laser printer.

* Depends on the language used on your Macintosh and the EPSON printer

After installing the EPSON Postscript package, you must select the correct PPD (PostScript Printer Description): PPD files provide all the information necessary to describe a PostScript printer’s features, including options and default settings.

Press the "Add" button and select the protocol or connection to be used (EPSON TCP/IP, EPSON USB…). After choosing your EPSON PostScript printer, you must select your printer model:

If you select EPSON as printer model, this might be a problem, because you will install the CUPS and GIMP drivers: Therefore this is not an EPSON PPD.

So instead select Epson in the “Printer model” section and choose the PPD for your printer.

Website here
    Latest Driver here

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

the first link is pointing towards a file on your desktop...I'll try to find it on Epson's site...but would you mind posting the correct link? Thank you for your help.

EDIT: I think I found the site...I'll download and see if it works.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

One slightly related matter: Quark 6.x does not send font postscript data to a shared printer. :rolleyes:

After going Courier-crazy for days with our work setup trying to work this out, I found this gem of information on MacIntouch and had to install our entire font library onto the print server (G4 733 QS). It's managed with FontBook which is OK as it doesn't need fiddling with that often.

5. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yeah, the two guys who use Quark have always had to make pdfs just to print, so they won't mind that, as long as we can get the printer to print the pdfs. God, I love InDesign! :)