need help with some bugs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by boredinroom4, Jan 31, 2006.

1. boredinroom4 macrumors newbie

i recently got broadband and i have noticed that i haven't been able to work a few things:

-open some widgets such as the weather widgets
    -the only web browser i can use is firefox (ive tried safari, camino)
    -i cant update my software from the apple menu

any advise would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, you might wanna be much more specific. What exactly are your problems? :)

3. boredinroom4 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i didnt specify:eek: ... i had dial-up and i was able to use any browser i wanted i.e. safari, firefox, camino. well after i hooked up my broadband connection i was only able to use firefox for my web browser. the others open but they are blank and wont load any sites. i checked to see if there was any firewall or virus protection bocks on either of the browsers but could find nothing.

my weather widget... along with some stupid comic widgets wont load. they seem to open but do not show any info... for instance... the weather widget will have the widgets outline and will actually show my city but not any weather information.

this is not so big of a deal but when i try to check for updates in the apple menu it wont load. the blue par stops about a quarter and wont go any farther

thanks for your help and if im not being specific enought i will try to specify in more detail

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it possible that the internet is not working at all and that you are just getting cached sites on Firefox? Is anything else getting a connection? You can check for a firewall in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. :)

5. boredinroom4 thread starter macrumors newbie

no i am able to go to any site i want and i know the connection is working cause i hooked up my xbox live through my comp. it is a wireless connection to my airport card if that means anything but i know the internet works

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any P2P or file sharing apps? Are they working properly?

Sorry for all the questions but t seems really weird to me that Firefox works yet other browsers do not. :confused:

7. boredinroom4 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol the questions are fine... i think i figured out my problem, or i should say i asked a good friend of mine and he figured out what was wrong... i got a lynksis router and the signal strength is full but if you go into system prefs the connection is yellow. so my airport card is receiving a signal but has no ip adress so some apps work and others dont.

what i need to know now is how to get the signal for my airport card to work at full strength or get an ip or something. my friend is researching but he doesnt know how...

thanks for your interest and if you find anything out about that let me know

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Turn off AppleTalk if it's on, make sure your settings on your Mac include to obtain an IP address through DHCP, and make sure your router is set to distribute IP addresses using DHCP and NAT unless you have static IP addresses from your ISP (unlikely) in which case you would just have it distribute via DHCP. Also, you can try changing the channel of your wireless connection. It may be that there's some interference right where you are.

9. boredinroom4 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i set my router to distribute ip adresses...
    and by DHCP do you mean under the TCP/IP tab?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Uh huh, and maybe renew the DHCP Lease while you're there (assuming it's already in use). :)

11. boredinroom4 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thanks for all the help but i figured it out... turned out to be a problem with my DNS server number... or the lack of one THANKS:)