Need help with sorting Wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CorvusCamenarum, Apr 3, 2006.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    My sexy new MBP arrived this morning, two days early at that. No hissing (knock on wood). I also got a Linksys WRT54GS, and luckily it worked straight out of the box. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to configure the thing at all. I would like to set up a secure wireless network. At the moment, it's just this computer, but at some point in the [hopefully near] future my girlfriend is going to convert and we'll put hers on the network too. The installation disc was useless and Linksys' web site is horrid to say the least, and not Mac-friendly at all. If anyone can point me in the direction of some nice, simple instructions for getting this sorted, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm fairly savvy when it comes to Macs (lifelong user), but this wireless stuff is completely new to me.
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    To secure your WLAN you need to enable WEP or WPA and the problem therein usually lies in that you can specify a phrase or a key and different platforms take a different format of keys. If you can post screenshots of the screens you see we might be able to help.

Note that I have one too and dumped the Linksys firmware the day I bought it, and assuming you have an older WRT you can too.