Need help with Virtual PC!... Please?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alone_together, Jul 25, 2005.

1. alone_together macrumors newbie

I just installed Virtual PC. Only problem is, it kept asking me to install an OS... I don't have Windows on a CD, and I would appreciate any help... Thanks alot

2. ghostee macrumors 6502

You're going to need an operating system to install. It doesn't necessarily have to be Windows, you can download Linux for free and install that. Or you could even install DOS.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

ghostee's right, you need an operating system to work inside of VPC. Think of it as a virtual PC (as the name states) that is very slow and needs its own OS to work.

By the way, where did you "download" it from? I hope it's legal.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

What you need is a virtual disk image that contains a copy of windows. I think you can't just take a Windows CD from a friend and install it...

Virtual PC comes in 3 packages:
    1)Plain Application. Does not contain the operating System. This is for users that already have an existing XP image int their hard drive
    2)Virtual PC with Windows XP Home
    3)Virtual PC with Windows XP Pro

So, either you have just bought the plain application package, forgetting that you need the operating system, or you have illegally downloaded the program and no one told you that you need the operating system disk image. If this is the case, don't talk about illegal stuff in here, or you might get yourself banned...

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty sure you can simply install from a regular Windows install disk but you must have your own licence for that copy.

6. witness macrumors 6502

That's right.

VPC is painfully slow, so unless you desperately need it, don't waste your time. If you want to install Linux try MacOnMac, you'll get much better performance.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Anyone else notice that? :rolleyes:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm hoping alone_together has confused the term "downloading" with "installing from a CD I bought."

9. dcv macrumors G3

Yes that's right, I installed Virtual PC using my old Windows 2000 disk. That worked fine but then I ran into problems patching it with all the latest updates. You have to upgrade the OS to Service Pack 4 (for Win 2000) or SP2 if using XP before you can install the virtual machine additions so that you can fully resize the screen etc. I tried to download and install the 'express' version of Windows 2000 SP4 from Windows Update but it kept failing - not only did it crash and corrupt my Virtual PC but also caused my first kernel panic. After I restarted my Mac I couldn't use Virtual PC - kept getting BSOD and perpetual boot cycle so had to delete it and start from scratch. Eventually got it working by downloading the other version of SP4 - I think it's called 'network' installation. So my advice to anyone installing VPC with Win 2000 is to NOT use the express install of SP4. Then it works fine, but yes it's painfully slow. I just need it to run certain work-related software.

10. alone_together thread starter macrumors newbie

I did install it from a CD, I just edited my post to make it clearer. Thanks for the help.

11. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I recommend Windows 2000 for VPC. And make sure you allocate at least 256 megs of memory to the VPC app. Don't even bother with XP. It runs way too slow in my opinion.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

No problem. It is against forum rules to talk about downloading pirated programs and stuff (keeps MacRumors legal-free)

Here is a neat site with abandonware... but the legality is questionable. However I don't see Microsoft profiting off of Win3.1 so... you decide if you take their word or not.

Linkety

13. alone_together thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I was reading your quote and I'm just curious. Would a Palm work well with a Mac?

14. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Yes, most palms will sync with osx. Sony Clie's however, are not compatible with macs unless you run a third party app like missing sync.