Need Help With Warcraft III...

Discussion in 'Games' started by tjwett, May 16, 2004.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

it's been quite a while since i've played games on the puter so i'm a bit rusty. a friend and i just picked up WC3 so we could have some little battles over Battlenet. problem is we can't seem to be able to create or join eachother's custom games. however, joining other people's games is no problem, which makes me convinced it's a port/firewall thing. as far as i can see i have opened up the proper ports and whatnot, i'm really just at a loss here. i am on a 12" PowerBook connected via Airport and a router (puter w/Airport Card>Airport Basestation>Router>Cable Modem). he is on a 17" iMac behind 2 routers (puter>router>router>Cable Modem). we are both running Panther and both use the same high speed cable service. if anyone could be so kind as to give me a little step-by-step setup that would RULE!

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Ok, well you might be right there, it has to be a firewall that is causing your problem

This is going to be fun because you could have a few running

Ok first:

Your PowerBook?

Does it have a firewall on?

Put in the ports if it is, if it isn't don't bother

Next:

Your AEBS

is it acting as a bridge?

If yes then leave it be, it should have a firewall off

If it is a DHCP server and its using NAT then it has a firewall on

I would turn Nat off and open the ports there, or deselect distribute addresses, then it will ask the Router for Internet DHCP etc

Ok Next :D

(Is this a router or a standard hub?)

Your router, check if it has a firewall, (maybe if I could have some info on this router I can help you find out) open up the ports there, make them target your Base Station

OK
    NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cable modem might have a firewall

open up the ports and you might want to target the router, meaning just type in its address into the port opening area

Would you care to share what your doing with all these Routers :p :D

Also I'm sure you get the idea, you can try this with your friends setup :)

3. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

hey, thanks so much. haha i suppose it does seem like a lot of routers. thing is we have a PC on the third floor, and XBox on the second floor, and the cable modem, router, and Base Station are in the basement. i don't believe the cable modem has a firewall. the router is a Linksys 4 port Router, newer model. i'll check the NAT settings on the AEBS. you mention making the ports target the base station. what exactly does that entail? thanks for your help. fingers crossed.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I guess with you having a few routers I was unsure as to how they are setup to give address via DHCP etc

For example I know with my setup

ADSL Router talks to ISP

Router gives ABES IP via DHCP

ABES uses DHCP and NAT to give IP to Computer on Network

I just said to forward to your ABES because I was assuming the routers were all giving out IPs via DHCP

:)