Need help with wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Mar 16, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I recently moved my mac mini down to the other end of the house (the router etc are far away) now im not getting any connection at all to the mac mini. Is there anything I can do?

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

check if u can get signal with your macbook pro where the mini is.. maybe is just too far from where your router is set up...hope that helps.it may be a quick fix..

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

4. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Nope, the MBP wont work down there. In other news one of the keys on my MBP came off :mad:

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oh sorry to hear bout your MBP, good news is... all you gotta do is either move your router closer to where your mini is...OR buy some of those bridge/wireless signal extenders/plug-in things Les Kerns showed you, i ve never used them myself so i dont know how well they work... i would just buy some extra cable and get the router closer to the mini, but thats just me...

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I went to the apple shop and they said I should buy airport express. Would that help?

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

well it may help. i ve never used it myself either, in the apple website it says that it extends the range of an already existing wireless connection if your router is another airport express base or airport extreme, is your router( the one you have now, one of those?) it may also work with other routers but i am not sure if it will(I do not see why it would not). If anything you could get it and if it doesn t work then return it..

8. Cepe Indicum macrumors regular

The system I have at home is:

- MacBook Pro (usually in the study - front of the house)
    - New Aiport Extreme (in the study, not far from usual location of MBP)
    - My older, Airport Express is now set up as a "booster", and is simply plugged in at the back of the house.

Granted, my house isn't huge, but I can get signal next door! I'd say the range of the Extreme plus Express is in excess of 50ft.

Hope this helps viccles. Good luck!