Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dummay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
I know i have a powermac g4, but how do you tell the exact speed of it? Im trying to sell it, and this would help.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Well, I am not sure what you are asking exactly, as there are a gazillion ways to measure speed. But, you might want to check out the Apple System Profiler, which gives you a lot of info (Go to About This Mac and click on more info). Or you could download xBench and run the test on your comp. And it will give you a number as your result.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i believe he is asking about the processor speed...

like freg said, go to the apple menu, choose "about this Mac." in middle of the dialog window is the CPU type and speed.

dummay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
still need help

I need to know the processor speed. And that Xbench thing doesnt load on my mac. There is no system profile or something like in windows that tells you the speed of the processor? If there isnt, just another reason why I love macs.

dummay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
When i click on ABOUT THIS COMPUTER it just tells me what programs are running, the OS.X, virtual memory usage and RAM...no processor speed...im running mac OS 9.1

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Can you find and launch the program named Apple System Profiler? That should tell you everything you need to know.

By the way, in the future, if you start a thread, put a little more detail into the title, e.g., "How do I know my processor speed?" instead of simply "need help". That way, people who know something about the topic will be most likely to read it, and people who don't or aren't interested will know to skip it. Thanks.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Apple System Profiler is in the Apple menu - down a few from About This Mac in OS9.

OSX it can be found by clicking the More Info button when you click on about this mac.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.