Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fa7mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Macau
Finally had some time to keep working on my logo design
I thank again all the people who took their time to give me their opinions
after reading those, I conclude that my first attempt failed in what a Logo meaning is, therefore I took some advices from you guys and redesign it again, today I came with 2 different versions, they are collored but I think they will work in black and white just fine

one of the versions has a more "complex" (if I can say so) look with a border in it
I kind found it cool :D but again (I learned it here) KISS-keep it simple stupid seems to work just fine too

P.S: No "Company Name suggestions allowed (that's just another story" :p

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
1.) get rid of that inner shadow
2.) get rid of that fountain-pens' realistic looking head (try to simplify it)
3.) before you make any new versions or any real changes, change all the colors to black and white.
If that works, than go on.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Not what you want to hear but I am just being honest - it is not clear, simple, or legible.

Take a look at your "version 2", you cannot even read it at a distance, so think how will people be able to read it on a business card, letterhead, stationary, web site/web banner, invoice et. et.

As the other poster said, simplify and work in black and white. No gradients, inner shadows et. Lose the fountain pen and the font is clearly to fine/delicate and is therefore not legible nor are the actual "L" and "D" letters, the "D" looks more like an "O" imo.

Try going back to the drawing board and visiting these links first:

http://logolounge.com/

http://dryicons.com/blog/2009/02/28/logo-design-process-tutorial/

http://designinstruct.com/visual-inspiration/logotypewordmark-logos-30-creative-examples/

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
It reads as LP to me

Sorry but for me the logo just doesn't work and you would be better off going back to the drawing board than trying to adapt the current 'idea'.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
You spend way too much time on one design without having a clear concept. How many thumbnails did you do before jumping into the computer? Without a solid idea you're getting bogged down in the details - like playing with gradients and shadows.

Why did you pick that color? What is it's meaning? You should save color until you've nailed the concept.

You need to get out the sketchbook and knock out a few pages of ideas. Refine those and then pick a direction... then refine that. When you get a dozen variations, scan those and show us what you've got. As a point of reference, the last logo I did, I filled a whole sketchbook with ideas and variations before I went to the computer. Once I got it into the computer it went pretty quick because I had made most of the design decisions on paper.

Other people have said this to you before... but the name Layout & Design is weak. Also, ditch the ink pen. It's cliché and implies that you are promoting yourself as a writer instead of a designer.

Sorry, but judging by the work you have posted thus far, I really don't think you're going to be able to create a good logo unless you take the proper steps. Creating great design takes time, knowledge, and experience. Keep going...

JDNGuru

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
To me, and it's just my style, a more "less is more" always works best when it comes to business logos. Try coming up with more styles. Maybe more simpler ones.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Nice font for "layout & design". The rest?
No.
Forgettable look and feel, can't read it (D? P? O? Sperm?), colors are searing to the eye, pen takes the eye away from the logo immediately, right angles can be bad.
Brutal but my honest opinion.
Grabbing a sketchbook would be a prudent course of action.

Alternate:
"What they said"

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
What's already been said.

And please, please, please drop the ink pen... unless you're a calligrapher.

And even then...

daver11

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I think it looks great. However, it looks like you created it as a bitmap, not a vector image. Make sure you make the original VERY hi-res, so the customer can use the logo on a billboard if they want!

Fa7mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Macau
I think it looks great. However, it looks like you created it as a bitmap, not a vector image. Make sure you make the original VERY hi-res, so the customer can use the logo on a billboard if they want!

thanks you! it was done on a vector program. that is a screenshot :D

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

ROFL... That has made my morning :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.