Need iDVD encoding benchmark from Intel iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sigamy, Sep 13, 2006.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm looking for benchmarks of iDVD encoding on the Intel iMacs...Core Duo and/or Core 2 Duo.

My 1Ghz G4 iMac is now taking over 7hours to create a disk image from one hour of video. Just wondering how much a new machine would speed this up.

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A DVD with menus or just a plain DVD of video that's viewable on a DVD player?

3. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll take any stats I can get...but, yeah, a iDVD with one of the standard 6.0 themes with one motion menu and one chapter selection menu.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, between today and Friday I'll be doing a family video thru (of course) iMovie and then iDVD. It's about 45-50mins. of video and about 100 photos. I can keep track of each process and give you the numbers when all is done including how many and what type of fades, titles and effects were used. My specs are in my sig. of my iMac so let me know if this is the "real world" info of doing a video you are looking for. I haven't really paid much attention to the whole process before but it would be nice to have a close idea as to the time it takes :)

5. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. As I said my 1Ghz g4 takes over 6 hours for 1 hour of video. I'm hoping to cut that in half with a Core Duo or C2D iMac.

I'm also hoping that Apple focuses iDVD '07 on performance improvements more than new features.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I normally use Visual Hub ($23.22) for my DVD making. I don't need fancy menus and crap. I just want a my files to work on a DVD player. It has handled video conversion for EVERY file I've put into it. It even converted my YouTube .flv videos into MPEG-4.

I've found that on my iMac Core Duo a 54 minute video takes about 40 minutes to convert into a DVD.