need info on which to pick Ibook or powerbok

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by etherburn2000, Jan 23, 2005.

1. etherburn2000 macrumors member

I'm new to the Mac world been using a PC for more then 8 yrs and want to do a switch to Mac. What the difference between the Ibook and powerbook and what do I look for if I want a wireless connection capability.

2. BoardCertified macrumors newbie

Well, the iBook is a better "lap" top because of the heat transfer from the Powerbooks more powerful processor and aluminum casing. The powerbook is considered a desktop replacement with mobile capability, while the iBook is considered a total mobile package that can sit in your lap for quite some time without getting very hot.

If you're asking for a difference in performance - my opinion is that the differences really depend on what you put in the machine. Since both machines come with Airport Extreme wireless cards and combo (CD-R/DVD/CD-RW) drives, the only real difference is:

1. How much RAM you put in either one.
    2. Whether you opt for the Superdrive
    3. Monitor Spanning instead of mirroring (however, this can be modified in iBook)

The bottom line is that the Powerbook comes with faster processors and larger screens - but the trade off is more money. The iBook is capable of almost everything the Powerbook can do as long as you put the same specs (i.e more ram) across the board.

Just ask yourself if you mind sitting at a desk or table when you use your powerbook, or if you'd rather be able to keep it in your lap.

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I would wait and see what happens to the powerbooks there is going to be an update very soon (in probobly 2 days) but like BoardCertified said the powerbook is more powerfulll(duh) and like a desktop replacement and it also has a better graphics card and has bluetooth built in already (not sure if u will use that)

but the iBook has recently been updated and is very good and comes with AirPort

so id guess it comes down to if you want to spend a couple hundred more for the Powerbook that has a little better specs. or the cheeper iBook thats not as powerfull.

hope that helps i cant really think stright right now

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Differences between iBook and PowerBook G4:

iBook = value

PowerBook = more power when compared to iBook in the areas of bus speed, ram, hdd (bto from Apple), video card ram, in/out ports are more than on an iBook, spanning (without patch), built-in bluetooth, screen resolution on the 15" and 17" models are better than the 14" iBook model and up to 2GHz ram compared to 1280MB ram with the iBook.

If you want wireless signal strength then the iBook beats the PowerBook.

If you want value and 12" size buy the iBook.

If you want a faster HDD and SuperDrive you can get a 3rd party that is far better value than Apple offers.

It all depends on what you want to do, and from what it sounds like you want wireless thus from that bit of information I would get the 12" iBook.

If you require more help more information in regards to your computing needs is required. :)

5. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Corrrect me if I am wrong but isn't this covered in a million different threads. Please search the site.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

So what else is new around MR in this regard. :)

7. etherburn2000 thread starter macrumors member

upgrade the ram to 512

I think I'm going to get the ibook but I'm upgrading the Ram to 512 and will do Photoshop 7 and Adobe Creative suites and Macromedia sutie is it easy to upgrade the ram myself.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The iBook can take more abuse than the PowerBook...

Many drops that would break, ding, dent, bend a PowerBook -- would at most leave a scuff mark on the iBook.

If you are looking at a PB12, or iBook -- the 14 inch version comes with the same resolution screen.

Meaning bigger dots and text for people with poor eyesite.

9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I generally agree with what's being said in this thread (and agree that is has been said 1000 times), but every time I read the bit about toughness I cringe. People please, NO laptop likes being dropped. If someone thinks they can somehow prove that one laptop in the apple lineup is somehow more "tough" than the other in this regard, great, but mostly people who only own one or the other give their anecdotes etc. Is someone here ready to buy one of each and drop them to see if they break? I don't think so. I suspect maybe some people are distracted by the ability of topical scratches to mar the appearance of the PB, if it is not cared for, or of Apple's own "bulletproof" marketing theme for the iB. Whatever, I say just try not to drop the things!

That said, I do suspect-- and of course I can't prove this-- that simply the extra thickness of the iB might actually protect it a little better. So while I too think the iB might be tougher, I don't think we can actually know this in any meaningful sense.