Need input for new site

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by christopher2402, Mar 4, 2005.

1. christopher2402 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I own the powerpcmac.com domain and I am needing to do some drastic changes to the site. Initially, the site was used as a small reseller site after I obtained an entire school district's worth of used machines. I have reduced my inventory from approximately 1500 used machines to 77, and have no interest in buying and reselling any more computers. I was thinking of doing some sort of Apple news/rumor/history/trade-board type site, but I wanted to see if people thought that the scene is oversaturated or if it would be worth my time. I will continue to own and use the domain name regardless, but I would be interested in what the MacRumors community thought. I wonder how many of these type of sites you visit on a regular basis, what you think of them, and whether I could build something that would be a compliment to, rather than a competitor of existing sites. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Please don't criticize the current site. It's coming down, and I will be asking my dad (20+ years experience in computers, 10+ in site design) for help this time. I am absolutely pathetic at site design, but I criticize very well, so I am well aware of the current site's numerous shortcomings.

Thanks for anything constructive you have to offer.

2. 2Sticky macrumors regular

As you said there are many of these types of sites, and many people will only want to go to one site to get there news, instead of going to several just to read the same news.

I think that you should try to come up with something unique, something that other Mac sites/forums don't offer, but don't ask me what!

Hope that helps..

3. mac-help macrumors newbie

mac-help

RE: need input for new site.

Personally, I would say,If you want to design a new Mac Website, just do it !

I have my own websites and do it for the fun of doing it.

I don't think you can oversaturate the Mac market. If people like your new site then they will come back, start small and personal and you should get some visitors.

Have a think of what interests you and work from that, I personally use my experience from working with Mac's for so long; and so one of my sites is a help forum: you can put up what ever you want that's the fun bit, if you don't like it or get no visitors you can always change it.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Ric

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could always focus your site on the powerpc aspect of macs, since that is your domain name, just an idea though

otherwise, its totally up to you, if you put a lot of effort into the site and everything it might end up being another great mac community, who knows

its up to you in the long run what you want to do with it though....just remember to have fun no matter what, otherwise it really isnt worth it if you ask me