Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhb1899

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Hey all, I've been updating my ipod all night and it just finished updating. Well, I'm tired and I want to go to bed, so I tried to "eject" my IPod, but my computer pops up with one of thsese two messages:

"the disc "Ipod" is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications"
or
"the ipod "Ipod" could not be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application"

Okay, it tells me that the updating is complete...I've quite ALL applications...and my computer STILL won't let me "eject"
any suggestions? I don't want to screw up my brand new IPod, but I'd really like to sleep...
help!

rhb1899

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
ibook
and I'm telling you, I don't have squat running...
could it be charging via my computer?
*sigh*

rhb1899

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
but if my computer goes to sleep, will that screw with my Ipod?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If the Mac falls asleep, your iPod will still be fine. My iPod does the same thing, sometimes it just doesn't realise that it's not wanted anymore. :(

If it still doesn't eject after you've woken it up, try restarting.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
rhb1899 said:
Hey all, I've been updating my ipod all night and it just finished updating. Well, I'm tired and I want to go to bed, so I tried to "eject" my IPod, but my computer pops up with one of thsese two messages:

"the disc "Ipod" is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications"
or
"the ipod "Ipod" could not be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application"

Okay, it tells me that the updating is complete...I've quite ALL applications...and my computer STILL won't let me "eject"
any suggestions? I don't want to screw up my brand new IPod, but I'd really like to sleep...
help!

Just pull the plug on it

rhb1899

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Hey everyone!
Thanks for the advice...I was tooling around the apple site looking for Ipod help, and it gave a few suggestions on getting your computer to eject it, and after many attempts, I finally succeeded by going through the hard drive and ejecting it that way. However, I'd tried this earlier and it hadn't worked...
go figure.
Anyway, it worked and I got to sleep, so crisis averted!
Again, thanks for the help!
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.