Need iTunes help, transferring files to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Red Menace, Jan 24, 2006.

1. The Red Menace macrumors member

Sep 27, 2005
    Just picked up my re-furb 12 in g4 Powerbook. This thing is sweet! Anyway I have an external drive with all of my music on it. What is the best way to transfer it all to my new Macs' hard drive. Now that I have the 80gb HD I want to keep all of my music on here. Thanks for the help.:D
  2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    (presuming the external drive is apple/Fat formatted so that you can see it)
    in iTunes preferences check the box under Advanced/General for "Copy files when adding" (and probably "keep organised" too)
    then under the File menu choose "Add to Library" and choose the external.
    Should copy them all into your iTunes > Music folder and organise them into folders.

edit: alternatively, copy all your music files into a folder (called "original" or something) inside your iTunes music folder on your mac, add them to the Library with "keep organised" checked. This has the advantage of moving all the files it adds into organised folders, but if there are any problems or files it skips or misses, they'll be left behind in your "originals" folder.