Need Laptop switching Advice ... thanks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by utah_boy2, Mar 24, 2004.

1. utah_boy2 macrumors regular

I would like an Apple laptop (ibook I think). I have a M$ XP, Basics: 12"
    screen, 256Ram, 16GB HD, firewire, USB 1.1, modem & lan connectioin. DVD rom, 3.5 floppy.

All I do now is surf the web, watch DVDs, Word proccesing, iTunes, some limited digital Photos. I would like more HD space.

Can I get a new/used Apple that will serve my purpose' ?? Any feedback will be greatly usefull to me!

jordan

2. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

I should add I have a AMD athalon 1400, processer.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

floppy drive will be an extra for Mac...

if you are really on a budget, you will probably be able to get away with iBook G3. but any iBook will have no problem handling your needs.

4. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Hey Jordan,

Glad to hear you're thinking of making the switch to mac. I'd strongly recommend an iBook, the 12" combo drive is a great portable. If you think you'd use the larger screen, go for the next model up - the 14''. Check out apple.com/ibook for more details. If you're an educational customer - definetly have a look at the educational store, Apple are always running promotions for students and their iBook products.

If you have the extra cash - I'd strongly suggest going for the 12" powerbook over an iBook. They are beautiful machines, any model would serve your needs (and any others) perfectly.

Good luck with the decision!
    -- Andrew.

5. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i would have to say that the G4 iBook is one of the best machines for switchers. If you arent on an extremely tight budget, the G4 is a good buy for the future (rather than the G3), affordably priced, stylish, and compact.

6. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

I have $800-$900 including my tax refund ... I think a new G4 ibook is right around there (with ed. discount).

I've never had anything but an iPod from apple. But I am sick of my XP machine never working right, I have so much spyware on here I could cry.

I do run a check and delete it off all the time, but it always comes back!

I have a 64MB jump drive, so could I go without 3 1/2 floppy? I mean will it work with an iBook

Jordan

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

one thing i forgot... i imagine that you will inevitably become wanting to use your Mac for purposes other than what you have listed now. i know i have. iMovie is a tremendously good introduction to making movies. even without a camcorder, i've gotten plenty of use out of iMovie with picture clips and small movie clips from my digital camera. i'm also wanting to get into garageband and iDVD soon... those are uses i hadn't imagined when i bought my PB.

so get the best machine you can afford. it will do what you want to do better and also give you the room to expand your uses...

edit: i just saw your post. yes, jump drive will work just fine.

8. belf8st macrumors member

The special discounts section at the apple store have refurbed G4 ibooks starting at $949 and the G3 800MHz ibook for $699. For what you are looking for, you can't go wrong with either one. I'd personally at least get the G4.

You could always purchase a usb floppy drive (average cost $35-$40) if you still needed access to floppy media.

9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

For your needs the 12" G4 iBook would be ideal. I would recommend increasing the hard disk space to 60 GB, it is amazing how quickly you can use it up. The internal Bluetooth module may also be worth thinking about, while you may not have many Bluetooth devices at the moment, it is a good future proof and relatively inexpensive addition. A Bluetooth mouse goes really well with the iBook. Also get an additional 512 MB Ram, as the base model does not have enough memory to run OS X as smooth and quickly as it can with more memory. Don't buy the memory from Apple though as it is still very expensive. www.crucial.com is a good place to buy inexpensive compatible memory.

10. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I can get the basic G4 ibook, the only thing is the HD space, 30 GB is double what I have now. I am only using 9GB including my music. How much is a upgrade HD going to cost?

I dont need any bluetooth (well not now at least) and I'd llike to stay close enough to cash out the laptop, I dont like my credit card bills getting too high.

But will I need more then the 256MB it comes with??

Jordan

Thanks for all the help!! its been really usefull!

11. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

The upgrade to a 40GB is $20 so it may be worthwhile.

256MB should be fine for everything you listed but in the future you might want to upgrade.

12. thejazzman10 Guest

Dont feel pressured to buy a G4!!! I have a G3 ibook (900mHz, 640 mb ram) and I have about 4 3D apps on it, and none of then lag(Cinema, Cararra, Cheetah3D and blender). either way, you will enjoy your mac!!

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The $20 for 40 GB is a no brainer. It's always a pain to upgrade your HD later. The RAM can definitely wait--it's cheaper to get it from a non-Apple supplier anyway, and there's not the hassle of backing up/copying everything that goes with upgrading an HD.

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Get 512 RAM from Crucial with an iBook. It will really enhance the experience as Panther is a bit of a memory hog and once you have a few apps active you want plenty of ram to keep things smooth.

The 14" 933 is regarded as the best of 3 for performance to price.

15. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone every bought from smalldog.com ?
    I would like to know shipping times, and condition of their ibooks.

How about buying a refurbished from apple.com?

Thanks for all the help!!
    Jordan

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sure you know this, and the 14" is likely outside your range anyway, but the 14" resolution is identical to that of the 12" - just bigger pixels.

And you can use a hack (see here) to allow you to use the video out port on your iBook to connect a second monitor in non-mirror mode (iBooks by default only let you show the same thing on both monitors - useless for most people).

I'd buy the G4. Better video card support than the G3. Longer life. The G3 still works (note that I have a 1999 Lombard G3 @400MHz) but it's aging rapidly.

No need to buy a floppy - as others have said, get a USB flashdrive.

Upgrade to 40GB.

If you don't expect to use Bluetooth, save the $50. The external dongle - which works fine and is only a pain if you always need it connected - is only $35 anymore anyway.

17. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

last question I have;

Is there a diff. in battery life between G3' and G4'?

jordan

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Maybe, not sure - but the G4 life is generally just fine (given that you do smart conservation things, like dimming the display somewhat, get enough RAM so you're not always swapping, etc.). And you can't use Quartz Extreme on a G3. Trust me, you'll want the G4. Maybe it's no big deal that your screen saver won't do the "Ken Burns" effect on slides (no go on G3, works on G4) but, sooner or later, for whatever reason, you'll wish you didn't get the G3.