Need legitimate help (I am not a pirate)

Discussion in 'Games' started by phonemonkey, Mar 2, 2004.

1. phonemonkey macrumors regular

I originally posted this in another thread but then realized it would be better suited here. I run an ibook 933 g4 and play star wars: jedi academy in multiplayer and singleplayer mode. Here's the problem: a lot of times when I am toting my notebook, router, cables, etc. it is inconvienent to take my cd cases which holds my games, so I tried to copy the game to my hard drive. It seemed to go fine, but would not play. I looked at the files on the CD to see if they all went ( I actually own the software, I'm not pirating) and there's a folder called base which would not copy to my HD. I am not good with file structure but I am assuming this is my problem. Is there any way to get this folder to copy, like I said I am not trying to pirate or even make a backup, just get the disk to my hd so I don't have to take the cd and scratch it up.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Opteron macrumors 6502

If you dumped the file correctly, then Try installing it from on your HDD. This should fix all the addressing issuse. Since I'm guessing at the moment the game only looks on the CD for data, not the HDD copy.

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I think you should use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the CD. Mount the image when you want to use the game. It takes up a lot of disk space (about 450 MB for a 650 MB CD) but it almost always works.

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

on the same token

i, too, am not a pirate.

i own (honestly) this lauryn hill unplugged, the new norah jones cd and another rock band.and they all have this CPC (copy protection crap).

incidentally, at lease these 3 cds were given to me as gifts. my (old) cd player does not recognize them. i would like to copy them so i could listen to them on iTunes.

there does not seem to be a way to transfer them. :(

5. phonemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot guys.

I was able to do it, it worked fine but the game still wanted the stinkin disk. Using those tips though I figured out how to make a backup. Nothing spectacular but I was amazed (I don't copy software) because now my originals don't have to get damaged when I take it elsewhere. Now if I could get my coffee maker to stop overflowing I will be set.

6. big macrumors 65816

big

I bought the same CD's, and was able to import them into iTunes just fine.... again, disk utility is such a powerful little App, try creating a CD of thsoe using it. I have yet to run into a CD that Disk Utility can not copy.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Does anybody know how to trick UT2003 into running from an image? I made one from the play disk, and it wouldn't play. Then I made one of the install disk and tried to install the game again. It won't do it from the image--it only wants the CD. Has anybody managed to do this?

8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    some of my games (like Halo) don't seem to work if you make a disk image and mount it so i just made a copy of the cd and carry that with me instead of the original. although i had never thought of making a disk image and then installing the game from the mounted image instead... i might have to give that a try.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Some games check to see if what ever the name of the disk image mounting program is is running and will not run if you have an image mounted (even if the disk is in)

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Here is how I (with help from a forum member) got Dungeon Siege to work without the physical CD. Note: This requires Toast (5 & 6 tested).

I made a disc image using Toast. Once you've done that follow these instructions. (all things in "code" should be on one continuous line)

1. Open Toast.
    2. Mount the disc image using Toast.
    3. It still doesn't work! (so don't try it yet! :))
    4. Close Toast/Unmount Disc (works in either order).
    5. Go to ye ole' terminal prompt.
    6. Navigate to where ever Toast is installed. For instance:
    Code:
    cd /Applications/Roxio\ Toast\ 6\ Titanium
    7. Now go deeper.
    Code:
    cd Toast\ 6\
    Titanium.app/Contents/MacOS
    7 1/2. You can combine steps 6 & 7 obviously. Adjust it yourself if you have Toast 5 or have it installed elsewhere.
    8. Now type (in the case of Dungeon Siege providing it's in the documents directory of your home folder):
    Code:
    ./ToastImageMounter ~/Documents/Dungeon\ Siege\ Disk\ 2.toast
    -readonly -hybrid
    9. The disc should mount on your desktop. Voila! I believe it's the -hybrid flag that does the trick which Toast does not normally use.
    10. Play Dungeon Siege without the CD.

A few notes:
    The reason I mount it in Toast first and then unmount and then remount by the command line is that there is some sort of extension that needs to be loaded to complete the command line mounting. Mounting the Disc in Toast seems to load this extension. I think you can load the extension via the command line too but that is beyond me.

To unmount the disc you have to do that at the command line. Even if you do this via dragging the disc to the trash (eject) it's still mounted (although not on your desktop).

To unmount the disc by command line you can do this:
    hdiutil eject disk2

Your disc might not be disk2 so first type:
    ls /dev disk*

The highest numbered disk will be the one (providing you didn't mount a disc after that). It's typically a single digit. Sometimes if there is a disk2 you will probably see things like disk2_1 or something like that but just do the disk2 which will get rid of the rest.

As a disclaimer, I know pretty much nothing about the command line and I hope this doesn't break your computer. It works just dandy on mine (in a roundabout sort of way). Please feel free to pick this apart and even make an AppleScript or something to do it in one swoop if you like.

Hopefully this will help others to get their games working without the CD. Again this wasn't my undertaking, this info was relayed to me by another MacRumors member back in the beginning of January.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Use the latest updater--it's been out for a month or two or three. It removes the need for the CD-ROM.

12. nargot macrumors regular

we all have the same probs, i too own all my games and dislike using the cds every single time, especially cause my slot loading drive is a bit hungry (ie hardly ejects cd/dvds without the aid of forceps and patience). In general (not 100% of the time i'm sure, but i've never had a problem) is to make a toast image of the cd and mount it. As for copy protection, there is none that can't be overcome by itunes (or the superior soundjam... why did they lose its great interface... why...) that i've seen

oh btw... an easier way to mount a toast image is to open the image via toast (drag and drop) and press mount

13. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is it posible that the drive itself causes this problem? i got the superdrive pioneer dvr-a05.

so let me get this right, i start up disk utility and i uhhh, create a disk image?

14. big macrumors 65816

big

Maybe, there is a firmware update for specific superdrives that Apple had posted awhile back. a quick search on their site reveals a few of these returned, without knowing what machine you have, I would not know what direction to point you in.

15. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Hitman on the PC doesn't :(

16. nargot macrumors regular

toast images are more reliable for boot cds, apple disk images don't work the same way and inturn fail to act as mounted cd in some cases

But for making a disk image, boot up disk image and create an image. I just looked at the options for .img files, they are different that under 10.3 so i can't help with that as of yet, i'll try it out this weekend.

17. jenniff macrumors member

Or, you could download them. Since you own the CDs, it's not illegal, is it?
    Or there's probably some weird copyright law that won't let you download from someone who doesn't own the CD, even though you own it.

18. nargot macrumors regular

You will probably find that making any copy is illegal nowdays unless it is abandonware. Ie can't copy music or DVDs that you own.

19. jennyjennydz macrumors newbie

Depends where you live. Ie you can copy music and DVDs that you own in some places - read: certain enlightened Western European countries.

--

To those intested in how to fix copy protected CDs. There is a simple solution: WireTap from Ambrosia. It can record any audio playing on your computer from any source. You can save it as needed for import into iTunes. WireTap is free.

Copy protect this one.

20. nargot macrumors regular

good idea

21. phonemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Disk Utility worked great, and like I said it still wanted the disk, but it wants that if I use ther original. At least now I have a copy that I can scratch without repurcussion.

22. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

wiretap only works if the disc is not a copy-protected one.

if the disc cannot even be played on the mac, then wiretap won't work.

23. Operator_Link macrumors newbie

Jedi Academy SP no-cd

One of u guys said that u have a single player no-cd patch, cause I misplaced my Disc 1 and I like game playing over-and-over, and if u find an MP patch please tell me that too. Thx

24. benpatient macrumors 68000

BTW, any audio disc that iTunes won't copy (there are some...they simply don't show up in iTunes at all) will usually copy in any number of PC programs, or vice versa. having a PC and a Mac around with a good mix of software will let you import from almost any copy-protected CD.

There are even some discs that only block certain tracks on one platform, and then the other tracks on the other platform. Outkast's new double CD has one disc that works on Mac iTunes and one that works on PC iTunes, but they each don't work in the other platform's software...pretty funny stuff.

25. vsp macrumors regular

Ok, this is to step through the obvious but I want to make sure I'm doing this right for playing a game without the CD.

Open Disk Utility, select the CD (seems to always be called "Session 1" with another cd image and name underneath it: I've been copying Session 1) and click New Image. Name it and what not (I've just been keeping the Session 1 name). To mount it I've just been double-clicking the disk image and then trying to open the game from my harddrive.

For both Giants and FreedomForce I've been asked to insert the CD. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this because I'm using Disk Utility and not something like Toast? Anyone been able to pull this off with either of these two games?

Not vital to do this, but I take my Powerbook places and I'd prefer not to have to lug disks around with me.

Thanks