Need .mac input.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

Apple's currently offering a $30 discount on .mac. I've looked at the .mac page on Apple.com, and it really doesn't look like I need a majority of the features.

-I already have webspace/hosting (which also gives me unlimited e-mail addresses) @ $3.95/month.
    -Online Sotrage/file sharing - don't think I'd get much use out of this.

The things that I'm not familiar with:

As well as the virus protection.

I currently use Norton AntiVirus, but could probably do without...especially with the performance hit it brings. I'm careful about attachments, e-mails, etc. but there's always that rogue trojan, etc. I know that there are far fewer virii for Macs than Windows...so is this something that is really useful?

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm A Subscriber

The online web hosting is (more or less) unlimmitted bandwidth. Usefull for hosting larger files for your main site. You get free anit-virus software that seems pretty good. You get a free copy of Super Nisqually (a puzzle game). At the moment you also get a free copy of DropStuff (compression utility).

In addition a .Mac account makes iSync, iPhoto, iCal and to a certain extent iMovie much better. Using iSync and .Mac you can syncronise your data between mutliple macs. You can also use this to sync your address book to an online copy you can access anywhere you can access the web.

Using iPhoto you can automatically publish your photos to the web. Using iCal you can publish your calendar for other to see.

You also get Backup that can back your data up to .Mac or CDR.

3. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information.

Does .mac hosting allow remote linking to images?

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Pablo

I'd say yes, but can you be more specific?

BTW- I've been finding the iDisk to be highly useful lately when swapping very large 10mb file between my home machine and windows machines at work. Yes, I know you can do online storage with others, but then again, Apple makes it slick.

Think of it analogous with "Gee, PC's have monitors too"...

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

yes, you can link to remote images or anything else you want on .Mac. It's a simple web server that you can load any HTML page onto and do whatever you need with that, as long as you don't need cgi or server-side features.

JW

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The iPhoto integration is really cool. It's nice being able to organise and edit your photos in iPhoto then click a button and have it create the page. You can then reorganize and edit in the page to look the way you want it before uploading. Once you're done rearranging one more click and it uploads it all and your done.

Check out my photos.

http://homepage.mac.com/louiskst

7. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I need to sign up sometime in the next three weeks. Where did you hear about a $30 discount?

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think you get the discount if you buy a new mac.

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

plus you get that wonderful @.mac email account....
    sounds vain but that's why I paid for it.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i have loved .mac. when i got it didnt want to change my email so i dont use my .mac address. but i have it linked to my other email so i can go to www.mac.com and get my other mail. that feauture right there does it for me. idisk is very nice for backing up things and just transferring. the backup software is a dream if you have to reinstall mac os x or something. it is so easy to use and just clikc a couple of buttons and your backing up your stuff. no one cares abotu virus protection but i guess its nice to have the reassurance. plus apple keeps adding features into it so expect it get better. i would buy it, especially for 70.

iJon

11. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it's at least worth trying out for a year.

Dale Sorel,

MacBandit's correct:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I also love having .Mac, but I am wondering, do you think that they will REALLY charge us $99 in October to resubscribe? I didn't mind paying $49, but I really can't see paying $99. I love it, but I don't use a lot of the features.

Of course, maybe they have some cool new things to surprise us with right about the time of renewal. :)

Regards,
    Gus

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I too have wondered this and I have come to three conclusions.

1) They will as you suggested come out with something new to make you want to reup.

2) They will offer some sort of renewal discount.

3) They expect you to get so tied up in having .Mac email and having your photos online through iPhoto that you are stuck with it and can't possibly give it up.

I'm thinking that any of the three is certainly possible. You know the ones that I'm hoping for though.

14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

completely irrelevant but seeing as you mentioned a free game..do new macs still come with those 3d games installed? like it seems new PC's come with a buncha crappy games like minesweeper and a coupla card games and pinball while macs have been giving out bugdom and cromag rally and stuff..do they still come?

15. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Let's see...my iBook 800 came with Chess, Deimos Rising, and Otto Matic, and then got a couple free with .Mac. Not bad, I guess. Any free software can't be too bad.

Well, I guess I have to take that back. Internet Explorer is free. ;)

Regards,
    Gus

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Are you sure? I'm sure I gave up something when I started the app up.