Need macbook pro A1286 battery replacement advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonhascome, Sep 6, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I need to replace the battery in my macbook pro A1286 serial number W0930A5YD77YA . I need advice about where to buy it, I see a lot on ebay with great warranties but I am very hesitant to throw a battery from China into my mbp, you all think that there might be any problems, should I worry? If so where would you recommend buying the battery from. also a lot of the batteries that I could find have a 5200mah capacity not the 6500 that the original battery has. THanks for the input

2. macrumors 68000

Buy one from Apple. It's the only one that's going to have the proper circuitry to communicate with the logic board. Everything else will register as a bad battery to the computer.

...and no, Apple doesn't do this so that no one can make a proper battery replacement. Lexmark tried that with the DMCA, and it didn't hold up in court. The competing manufacturers have every right to reverse-engineer Apple's circuitry to make it work properly with the computer. They just don't.

3. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If this is the battery for the late 2008 macbook pros, I think there is someone selling one for $50 in the marketplace. I picked up a slightly used one for $40, which is the way to go IMO.

edit: I see that youmay not have access to the market place yet, so disregard what I said. I still think getting a used one is the way to go. Perhaps ebay if they aren't to pricey.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 68000

So, it's not user-replaceable, then. You should have special tools to replace that battery, so take it to Apple.

It's very very rare that those batteries go bad, and they should last 1000 cycles. Are you sure it needs to be replaced?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, Yes I'm sure. I guess I got one of the bad batches or something but ever since about 300 cycles it's said "service battery soon" which happened to be the day after my warranty expired.I am now up to 600 cycles and it's not holding much of a charge and according to coconut battery is only at 60% capacity.

7. macrumors 6502

The battery is about as "not user replaceable" as the iPhone 4 battery. All you need to do is remove the 10 screws on the bottom cover, and the 3 torx screws securing the battery to the frame. Pull the battery out, put the new one in, put the computer back together, and you're done. It's also a great time to blow out the fans from the inside of the computer. It's really just a 10-20 minute job.

To get a genuine apple battery you can go right on eBay. If you're concerned about getting a fake, then you can usually spot them by different safety warning wording than your original battery, different font, and missing serial number tags. Here is a genuine battery on eBay, that ships from china (I order OEM apple parts from china all the time, and have never received counterfeit parts)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Bat..._Batteries&hash=item27bcf56d10#ht_2034wt_1114

That one looks identical to the genuine battery in my MBP, and includes a serial number tag, which fakes are usually missing.

8. macrumors 68000

It's not security torx. It'll be either tri-lobe or penta-lobe, and they have the screwdrivers at ifixit.

9. macrumors member

I'm having the same problem. Where did you end up buying your battery from?

Mat

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't buy it cause this computer decided to fry the lvds cable so I am currently trying to find out if that is fixable or not.

11. macrumors newbie

A site like iFixIt or PowerBook Medic is a good option. First, you'll need the Pentalobe driver to remove the built-in battery. They offer both new & used, though for the $ dif, new is a good deal. They offer warranties too, they are both reputable & offer batteries @ a discount. Their batteries also meet OEM specs, so safe buy. I have been satisfied with both of my recent purchases from them

Cheers !

12. macrumors 68030

Please pay attention to the post date; you're answering a post several months old!