Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much software has your El Capitan broken?

• None

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Some

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most

• Pretty much everything

• Completely bricked

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

w3bj3d1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I need to buy a used MacBook Pro because El Capitan breaks CS5 (among other things). Few MacBooks are being sold with 10.8. Most are sold with "the latest software yay!" (Mavericks, Yosemite, or El Capitan), so i will need to downgrade.

Has anyone here accomplished this?

This link tells you how to downgrade, so I am not requesting instructions, but advice.

My questions are:

1. Have any HW upgrades by previous owner prevented a downgrade?
2. What tool did you use to remove the boot partitian (since El Capitan tries to prevent downgrading)?

Any other advice or experiences are appreciated!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I need to buy a used MacBook Pro because El Capitan breaks CS5 (among other things). Few MacBooks are being sold with 10.8. Most are sold with "the latest software yay!" (Mavericks, Yosemite, or El Capitan), so i will need to downgrade.
Has anyone here accomplished this? This link tells you how to downgrade, so I am not requesting instructions, but advice.
My questions are:
1. Have any HW upgrades by previous owner prevented a downgrade? No.
2. What tool did you use to remove the boot partitian (since El Capitan tries to prevent downgrading)? Format the internal drive started from a bootable USB thumb installer drive with 10.8 then install 10.8 and migrate or install old apps/data.
Any other advice or experiences are appreciated!
See my answers in bold in the quote above.
The newest MBP you can purchase is the Early 2013 (13-Inch & 15-Inch) MBP and still run OS 10.8. You may need to purchase OS 10.8 from Apple ($19.99) if you do not already own it. Apple will send a content code to that will allow download from the App Store. You can only download the 10.8 installer app to a Mac capable of running 10.8. The 10.8 full install app will download to the Applications folder with the file name "Install OS X Mountain Lion". If the install app auto launches after download then quit it and make a bootable USB thumb installer drive with 10.8. Note: The "Install OS X Mountain Lion" app will automatically delete itself after it completes running from the Applications folder.

EDIT: If the MBP drive will not format then the latest OS may have created a logical volume that may need to be removed. See this MacRumors thread Post #6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buggyflayer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.