NEED MAJOR HELP-networking

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by warrior, Jun 3, 2005.

1. warrior macrumors newbie

I am trying to transfer files from a very old system (network of a few computers running OS between 7.5-7.6). I tried to connect my 10.4 powerbook with asantetalk. it found the server but when i tried to connect to it, it said that it doesnt support AFP. I read on the asante site and other places that it cant talk to old systems like that. WHAT CAN I DO? I need to get those files off the computer. If I put classic on my powerbook would i then be able to connect? (bec it will be connecting system 9 to system 7)? another option i have is to connect the old system(7.6) to a (not as old) computer running 8.6 and then i would be able to get my powerbook to talk to the 8.6. Will the asante talk allow 8.6 to talk to 7.6? or is the asantetalk not able transfer from anything thats that old?
    I really need to get this done, if anyone can help me i'd appreciate it.

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, 7.6 and below, doesn't support AFP: although if you check-out http://www.pure-mac.com they have some old programs for 7.5 and on up to X, but mainly older utilities. You could buy an external enclosure and mount the drive to your OS X via Firewire or USB 2.0. Just look for various diff software, or do the trend up 7.5-9.x-X Remember, if you start Classic Environment, and run the apps that you need in that, you could do it straight from X via classic environ., if you know where to go and that.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You're going to have a lot of trouble. Tiger's AFP interface apparently doesn't support AppleTalk, which is the only way System 7 understands how to talk with File Sharing.

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well if you go to: System Preferences->Networking->Configure->AppleTalk you can Enable AppleTalk and select a zone also. I dunno how it will work with System 7, but make sure its enabled and try that.

5. warrior thread starter macrumors newbie

what im trying to do is upgrade the (very old) filemaker system, by getting new computers and obviously new filemaker. so i need to get all the files onto a new computer running x. are u saying all i have to do is startup in classic environment and it should transfer? or is the actual asante talk hardware incapable of dealing with system 7. any other ways to get the files over? (what kind of external HD can connect to an old computer, with practically no ports)?

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If I still have the files on my PC, then I'll install System 7.5.5 on Basilisk and help try to troubleshoot this. I don't think I do have them, and its 15MB of downloads (on dial-up thats just nuts IMO). But yeah... lemme check pure-mac real quick.

EDIT: I GOT IT!!!
    Do you have a web browser on System 7? If you do, then you can FTP all of your files over! I think that would work/be the best option/possibility. Think about it, if one is set up as an FTP server, and given the write rights at least, then you could transfer the files over. Could you do that?

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Start classic, start all exentions on your Tiger Machine and open up File Sharing: