Need MORE mac help :p

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bob marley, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bob marley macrumors newbie

K, so apple sometimes have the refurbished 2 ghz core duo macbook on sale for 50 bucks less than the refurbished macbook core 2 duo 1.83ghz.

Is there a BIG difference between Duo and 2 Duo? I'd rather save the 50 bucks, get 0.17 ghz and a super drive better than buy something for 50 bucks more cause it has a 2 in it.

Also, if i purchase iWork06 with a Macbook, is the file compatible to open on a PC?

Im just a 11 year old with the money to buy a mac, and sometimes i gotta write my papers at home.

Then i email them and print em out at school.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

depends what you do, and C2D gives u a peace of mind (so called 64 bit future proof and 802.11n, which are realisticly not useful IMHO). after all, $50 is not a significant number, so whichever u choose, u won't feel bad.

3. bob marley thread starter macrumors newbie

"64 bit future proof" my ass :apple:

Its not like its even freakin compatible with 4gb ram anyways :rolleyes:

Wtf is 802.11n

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You can export from iWork in variety of formats – including as a Word file – so you shouldn't have any problems on that front.

5. bob marley thread starter macrumors newbie

Oo thanks, i was worried sick about that.

Will core duo 2 ghz overpower core 2 duo 1.83ghz or at least stay moderately lower or the same?

thanks

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

if you're going to shell out for iWork anyway and you need PC compatibility, just buy MS Office student version. It won't give you any headaches sending documents back & forth to PCs

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The Core 2 Duos CPUs are roughly 10% faster than the equivalently clocked Core Duos, so a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo will be somewhat equivalent to a 2.16GHz Core Duo.

So you have: 2GHz CD 32bit CPU, wireless g, superdrive vs 1.83GHz C2D 64bit CPU, wireless n, no superdrive. Is that right?

By the way, there's more to 64 bit processing than the maximum RAM, and if you don't know what wireless n (aka 802.11n) is, look it up.

8. bob marley thread starter macrumors newbie

ty so much, ill buy the core duo one because now i know its barely slower than core 2 duo 1.83ghz

9. bob marley thread starter macrumors newbie

yea

10. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

..........Eleven years old, eh? Let me think about that............... :eek:

11. bob marley thread starter macrumors newbie

ty for helping

12. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Wait until Santa Rosa-Leopard equipped MacBook.:D

13. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Like was said earlier and cannot be stressed enough is that the 1.83 only has a COMBO drive so you cannot burn DVD's. If this is important to you then the 2.0 is your only choice

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mod note: Member bob marley has been asked to return when he turns 13.

15. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Ouch! Sorry, Bob, wasn't my intention to get the feds onto you. I was expressing amazement at your abilities. Many apologies, wish you only the best. ;)