Need More Memory, Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by donjohnnyson83, Dec 26, 2006.

1. donjohnnyson83 macrumors newbie

I have an ibook with a 30gb hard drive. I am running desperatly low on space and am just wondering the best place to buy more memory or even larger gb hard drives. I checked ebay, but I only seem to be able to find disk drives, thats not what I want is it? . . . . . . What now?!?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Here are some things that I'd suggest in order of what I'd try first to last.

I'd run whatsize and get rid of any unnecessary files.

If you don't need some of your files all the time then you should consider buying an external hard drive.

If you feel you have to get a bigger internal hard drive then what you are looking for is a 2.5" parallel ata (PATA) hard drive (hard disk). Guides are available here.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

newegg has never failed me for hard drive and RAM upgrades.

i'm not sure if you've already purged your hard drive, but it might be useful to delete the GarageBand loops and the iDVD themes you don't use, and those applications (and any others) that you don't use.

30GB is awfully small these days, so i understand your desire to upgrade... i'm worried about running out of room on my 80GB even though i still have 50 free!

4. donjohnnyson83 thread starter macrumors newbie

K so I downloaded whatsize, and got the list of files. What do the different colored files mean? (i'm guessing level of danger to delete)

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The different colors of the files are signify how big the file is, small files are green, medium are purple and large are red. The first thing I'd do is if you don't use garageband then delete the loops and files accosiated with that. Next go to the Users>'name of account'>Library>Printers and delete all the printer drivers that you don't need. And just go through the system and delete what you don't need, although don't delete anything that you don't know what it is.

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Have you tried Delocalizer yet? That saved me 2gb on my Powerbook once.

7. Irish Dave macrumors regular

The best solution is:
    1. Back up and then remove from the hard drive any files you haven't used in the past year.
    2. Increase the ram to it's maximum amount.
    3. Buy an external hard drive.

Dave :)