Need more USB ports, PCI card or USB hub?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dornoforpyros, Jun 12, 2005.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    hey so the time's come to add more USB ports to my g5 powermac. I'm just wondering if anyone can list the advantages/disadvantages of getting a USB card over a USB hub?

I'm tempted to go with the card because it'll take up less space and mean less crud on the desk. But of cource that means sticking more ports on the back of my case and thus reaching behind everytime I need to plug something in.

also if anyone has installed on in a g5 before and can recommend a decent one that would be gravy.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Reaching behind...tha's enough reason for me...

I put powered USB hubs on every machine as a matter of course. Less hassle with the limitations on USB bus power, and if'n I bork a USB port with some careless plugging, a hub is W-a-a-a-y less money to replace than a motherboard.
  3. Bloo Ice macrumors regular

May 4, 2005
    Well, it all depends on what you want. I have 8 USB 2.0s on my system, but I still use my hub instead. Its easier to get to, and if you get one that looks good. hey. Plus, its portable. I switch the hub from my PC to my tablet all the time. Now with a card you can't do that. Mine is self powered, and it's close to my system, so I don't really have much of a cord mess difference. And, if I have 4 devices plugged into it, and want them all on a different computer, its just the one plug to change, not 4.
    My 2 cents