Need mpeg expert to enlighten me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 512ke, Aug 30, 2004.

1. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Could anyone who knows more than I do about mpeg movie files (which is probably about everyone here) please help?

I have an mpeg movie I need to burn to a DVD for my work. I can view the mpeg file in Quicktime, no problem. However, I cannot import the file into iMovie. The movie is 17 minutes long. 189 MB.

Other than Toast, VLC and Mplayer I have only iApps. I have a firewire mini DV cam, in case that helps. I guess I could videotape the file off the screen and patch-in sound to the camera. But that doesn't seem very elegant!

Any ideas? My apologies if I'm not giving you enough info about the file. All it says under "get info" is "mpeg movie".

Many thanks! 512ke.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

3. 512ke thread starter macrumors 6502a

512ke

Thank you, Jfreak. Excellent suggestion. However, when I tried it, I got the following message: "unsupported file type".
    Am I out of luck?

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah... Jfreak is wrong. iDVD doesn't support MPEG formats... rather it only uses a digital-only filetype (I can't remember the type at the moment). I would suggest you try and convert it to DIVX format and see if iMovie will take it from there...

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How is it possible that you are able to view the MPEG in the QuickTime player, but cannot open it in iMovie? I suggest that you do one of two things. 1) Import the file into iMovie. 2) If importing doesn't work, drag and drop it into iMovie. Get on with life.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Could be MPEG-2 which only plays partly correct in QT and may not work in iMovie.