Need network help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by volntitan, May 17, 2005.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

I have a iMac G5 and a PC with a cable modem that is hooked up to a SMC wireless router. I have a usb wireless adapter, but I can't get it to work with the iMac. I don't want to go out and get Airport yet, because everything is set up in a temporary situation until we figure out where everything is going to go. Is there a cheap solution to have the imac hope on the wireless, i.e. usb adapter? If so, what do I need to get?

2. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

You don't mention what brand you have. Here is a list of compatible USB wireless devices that should work on your iMac. Check it out and see if yours is on it.

If you have troubles connecting, let us know the brand of adapter you have, and what the symptoms are (does it see the device, but can't connect; does it not see the device, etc.) and we'll try to help.

4. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks EMW. The one I have is SMC Model SMC2662W.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Dang, looks like that one isn't supported for you. I've got a couple Linksys ones that I've used with TiVo, and they've been reliable for me there. Not sure about on the Mac side, but their WET11 device (which uses your ethernet port) looks like a decent bet.

Any of these will be reasonably expensive ($50-$80 or so), so you might want to consider just picking up the Airport Extreme card for $80 from Apple (or perhaps less if you look around a little).

Your router may also support wired connections, if you want to go that route.

6. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

How expensive is it to have the airport card installed?

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's really something you can do yourself, not all that difficult. I'm sure if you brought your iMac into your local Apple store they'd do it for a reasonable fee, but it's really not that tough - in fact, your manual probably comes with installation instructions.

8. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Shouldn't I be able to use any wireless G access point/bridge that connects with the iMac via an ethernet cable?