Need new comp. imac now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Josh, Sep 20, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    Hi everyone,

My computer (a 4-year-old 757mhz AMD PC) recently went kaput....something happened to the processor fan, and I think my proc. overheated. To make a long story short...I need a new computer.

I need a new computer very soon, for school especialy, but other things as well. My question is this: should I buy a 17" 1.6ghz imac G5 now, or would it be worth it to wait until the next version?

Normally, I'd wait...but since my only computer no longer works, I cannot figure out if the wait would actually be worth it or not since I need a new computer so badly.

I used to have a dual 1.25 pm G4, but sold it because it was too loud.

My main uses are photoshop, music, and websurfing...but I loved making DVD's when I had my mac. My old AMD system was fine for photoshop and I imagine the 1.5ghz imac will be much faster.

So what do you think...should I wait or no?
  2. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    You answered yourself... although I have complained about these question when a product is just released (My tolerance is 3 week, you're within ;) ) ... I don't think we will see a new revision soon... soon means, not before Tiger comes out... as always, if you need it, get it... if you need a desktop, an iMac would be nice... Did i say that the iMacs are just released? :eek: ... :rolleyes:
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    haha thanks for the reply.

see, I was thinking about waiting until Tiger came out...but I have no idea when that will be.

But I guess I am left with only one get the 17" imac.

I would geta pm G5...but the $1999 price tag is just too much for me.
  4. macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Get out and get that G5 iMac now. And make sure you get another stick of RAM to go w/ the stick that came w/ the system. Crucial from is good.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    get the iMac! but if i was you i would strive for the 20"... I know i am cramped on my 17" monitor. I think it is very much worth the extra money for the 20"
  6. macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
  7. macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    get the iMac and upgrade your ram + buy Tiger when it releases...

if you can get the 20" more room fo those palettes in Photoshop (I use 2 monitors to have some space ;-) )
  8. macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, and what would the next revision do for you? PRobably a slightly faster processor and a slightly lower price. (anything else you would need? FW800?) And you can already buy a faster processor, so really it's just paying more now than in 6 mos. (or 9) when they're revised. So you're just paying for a few months of use, which is so what. Buy now.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Get the the iMac (20 " would be nice) and increase your RAM. Panther works great, and Tiger will be out next year for purchase.