Need new comp. imac now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Josh, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. macrumors 68000

    Josh

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    Location:
    State College, PA
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    My computer (a 4-year-old 757mhz AMD PC) recently went kaput....something happened to the processor fan, and I think my proc. overheated. To make a long story short...I need a new computer.

    I need a new computer very soon, for school especialy, but other things as well. My question is this: should I buy a 17" 1.6ghz imac G5 now, or would it be worth it to wait until the next version?

    Normally, I'd wait...but since my only computer no longer works, I cannot figure out if the wait would actually be worth it or not since I need a new computer so badly.

    I used to have a dual 1.25 pm G4, but sold it because it was too loud.

    My main uses are photoshop, music, and websurfing...but I loved making DVD's when I had my mac. My old AMD system was fine for photoshop and stuff...so I imagine the 1.5ghz imac will be much faster.

    So what do you think...should I wait or no?
     
  2. macrumors 68020

    AmigoMac

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2003
    Location:
    l'Allemagne
    #2
    You answered yourself... although I have complained about these question when a product is just released (My tolerance is 3 week, you're within ;) ) ... I don't think we will see a new revision soon... soon means, not before Tiger comes out... as always, if you need it, get it... if you need a desktop, an iMac would be nice... Did i say that the iMacs are just released? :eek: ... :rolleyes:
     
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

    Josh

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    Location:
    State College, PA
    #3
    haha thanks for the reply.

    see, I was thinking about waiting until Tiger came out...but I have no idea when that will be.

    But I guess I am left with only one option....to get the 17" imac.

    I would geta pm G5...but the $1999 price tag is just too much for me.
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    FuzzyBallz

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Location:
    Home of Al-Qaida
    #4
    Get out and get that G5 iMac now. And make sure you get another stick of RAM to go w/ the stick that came w/ the system. Crucial from Newegg.com is good.
     
  5. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2003
    #5
    get the iMac! but if i was you i would strive for the 20"... I know i am cramped on my 17" monitor. I think it is very much worth the extra money for the 20"
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    So. Cal
    #6
    Get the iMac. :) You'll be glad you did.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Location:
    Antwerp-Belgium
    #7
    get the iMac and upgrade your ram + buy Tiger when it releases...

    if you can get the 20" more room fo those palettes in Photoshop (I use 2 monitors to have some space ;-) )
     
  8. macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #8
    Yeah, and what would the next revision do for you? PRobably a slightly faster processor and a slightly lower price. (anything else you would need? FW800?) And you can already buy a faster processor, so really it's just paying more now than in 6 mos. (or 9) when they're revised. So you're just paying for a few months of use, which is so what. Buy now.
     
  9. macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #9
    Get the the iMac (20 " would be nice) and increase your RAM. Panther works great, and Tiger will be out next year for purchase.
     

Share This Page